What's new
What's new

1988 ecostar 2 with Fanuc O-T desperate need of help

BIDS

Plastic
The lathe in our shop is having issues. the machine will home and change tools, but when cycle start is pressed it moves down to the part and sits. this program has been in the control and used for about 6yrs. so far i have tried replacing the x axis encoder, x axis encoder cable, and the spindle encoder. if anyone can help or knows someone that can please let me know? any additional info or video needed please let me know?
thank you,
Justin

Ecostar 2 fanuc ot - YouTube

Don't understand why you would change the axis encoders when the axes seem to be moving fine.

Several things could create the situation you describe.
Feed override set to 0.
Spindle speed arrival (SAR) not being sent by spindle drive or read by PMC.
M, S, or T fin signals not sent by PMC.
Spindle encoder or cabling bad.

Try adding an G98 at the start of the program and adjusting your feed to IPM values. If it will feed in IPM mode then I'd look at spindle encoder wiring since you have already swapped the spindle encoder.

If that does not help then try....

Check DGN700. Any of them a 1?
Check and report back the content of DGN115, 120, and 121.

Is this a lathe? Make sure it's not in feed/minute mode. I think that's g99 or g98 to switch back and forth.

Post a copy of the program. The character where it stopped and machine position. Also list any geometry, work shift or wear offsets.

ok let me try this best I can.
the feed override is set to 90%
I am not sure on how to test sar or pmc? fin signals? not sure what to look for?
I tested the spindle encoder cable and the following had no reading:
D,E,F,G,J,L,M,S,T
diagnostic 700 is all 0, 115 is all 0, 120 is all 0, and 121 is 00110111
today on cycle start it is giving a 114 p/s alarm at the g20
this is the program up to where it stops
G20;
G28 U0.;
G28 W0.;
G50 X9.0083 Z12.738;
G0 T1212;
G97 S700 M03;
G0 X5.95 Z.825 M8;
G50 S1200;
G96 S800;
Z.825;
G99 G1 Z.575 F.01;
Z.2938

I also changed to a G98 but when I tried to enter a feed I could not. when F is presses a W is entered,
leaving the line as follows G98 G1 Z.575 F.01 the machine was feeding the z in towards the part... slow but in the position screen it was counting down

I also changed to a G98 but when I tried to enter a feed I could not. when F is presses a W is entered,
leaving the line as follows G98 G1 Z.575 F.01 the machine was feeding the z in towards the part... slow but in the position screen it was counting down

That tells me that your spindle encoder signals are not reaching the CNC. Since you have changed the encoder, that leaves the cabling or the CNC itself. The connection to the CNC depends on the model of 0T you have. In 1988 it's going to be a A or maybe B. I don't have manuals that old, but the oldest one I have is for an 1997 0T-Mate and it shows the spindle encoder connection to M27 on the MEM card. You'll need to consult your Fanuc Maintenance manual or the ecostar wiring diagram for info on your wiring to verify.

unfortunately I only have a operating manual for this machine, no maintenance or wiring

unfortunately I only have a operating manual for this machine, no maintenance or wiring

Some time googling for a Fanuc 0A or 0B series maintenance manual might dig up one. Wiring diagram, you're probably SOL. It'll be tough keeping an old machine running without those documents.

I will start a search. quick encoder question it uses a kuroda A86L-0027-0001 #101 the one that is in now is#103 would this have any effect?

I have located the maintenance manual and it does go to M27. I also went back to G99 and it seems with a G98 or G99 the machine goes to z.575 and stops.
so it goes to
G99 G1 Z.575 F.01;
then stops with the courser under the Z in
Z.2938

G98 G1 Z.575 F 3.;
It moves in to z.575 and stops
yesterday when i seen movement on the z axis i stopped the machine not realizing that it was still freezing at the same spot just taking longer to get there

a 114 alarm on an fanuc O-t means...

Fanuc alarm: 114 - FORMAT ERROR IN MACRO

some where program is messed up....who put those G28s in there? and if its been in there 6 years and worked....did you just get rid of the guy that used to run it? might he have modified it before leaving to give you some pipe? G28 is usually a modern day code that HAAS and others use for going to home...but has been used on those old dogs....but here read this aboot it...I would erase those IMO...since the alarm 114 is at G20 that means whatevers after that is fubared.

https://www.cncci.com/resources/tips/how g28 works.htm

PS...when using a G50 you CANNOT use work offsets....read here too...theres programs in here to peruse with G28 and G50

https://www.cncci.com/resources/tips/G50.htm

try this in MDI to reset offsets and values stored and turn down rapid and see where it goes to home

M9
G91
G40 G28 G00 X0.0 Z0.0
G90
M30

PS...make sure your not in SINGLE BLOCK either

try this in MDI to reset offsets and values stored and turn down rapid and see where it goes to home

M9
G91
G40 G28 G00 X0.0 Z0.0
G90
M30

PS...make sure your not in SINGLE BLOCK either

G91 will not be a valid code on the OP's machine. Suggesting he try something that will just create another alarm will compound the trouble figuring out what is wrong.

Back