What's new
What's new

1st post. Beginner help with terms and simple idea

jjjmac

Plastic
I'm sure this is a simple idea, however I'm not even sure what the terms would be for any kind of "googling" or searching.

I apologize in advance if this is a waste of space.

Basically very new to cnc milling, so...

I'm wanting to mill (engrave) an aluminum plate. The depth of the engraving will be around .2mm (8-10 thou)

This is too close to the nature imperfection in flatness of the work surface to make the engraving uniform. The aluminum is anodized so surfacing wont really work.

It seems a better solution would be to zero z at each engraving feature and have the machine adjust for that.

My questions are: What is this technique called? What tool would accomplish this? Mach 3 or other cheaper software has the feature?

It's called.....Engraving. There are tools for what you are trying to accomplish. I'll post a pic. But I have to say IF you can get the face to be Engraved to be more Perpendicular to the spindle you are going to get better results, by shim or sine or whatever. But here you go "spring loaded Engraver...the results are not great, because it's hard to control the pressure.

spring_loaded_tool_home.gif

My engraving spindle has a provision for a nose cone, which rides directly on the surface of the material. Are you trying to deep engrave?

The device above performs similarly to a "Feather Weight" spring loaded device I use, but for a 6" long tool bit. The one above uses a collet for a short cutter. The feather weight is primarily for burnishing since there is no way to control the depth.

For a pointed cutter, you'll need to control the depth by riding on the surface you're engraving. You could use a ball mill and cut at least the depth equal to the diameter of the cutter plus whatever you allow from true flat.

Or you could throw a piece of dychem covered offall up on the machine and try using the pointed cutter. It will probably be OK if there's a less than flat conditions. The ratio between the size of the text and width of line is of some consideration, so try some different settings to see what you get.

How about running over the surface with an indicator, then build yourself a "map" of your measurements.

From that point, you could probably manually edit the G-code and adjust the Z higher or lower in various locations according to your measurements.

PM

yes, thank you all for the input.

I think "an indicator" is the device I'm thinking about. and. mapping each feature is what I was thinking about as well. You mention having to edit the G-code, sure seems like adding the offset would be a standard feature in some software?

You mention having to edit the G-code, sure seems like adding the offset would be a standard feature in some software?
Your two posts into this circus. Do you actually have a machine? Not the Mach 3 kind?

Some how I get the impression, (right or wrong), you're looking for something that will follow Up Hill & Down Dale automatically.

That exists in Laser, plasma & flame. Its called capacitance height sensing. But I think your a spring loaded engraver kind of bloke as per post #2

Regards Phil.

I have HAAS TM-2.

I'm considering cheap Chinese machine for home use 6040 - 6090 etc...

Thank you for all the input.

I'm looking to have local Z zero for every engraving feature rather than the entire aluminum faceplate. The few thousands (5) of faceplate non-uniformity makes it tough to get consistent engraving depth.

"FEATURE" could = all engraving in 1-2" radius. So machine would go to center of the "feature" and zero z, then start all engraving in that "feature"

Just use a spring loaded engraver and be done with it. If you need it to be better, then figure something else out. That will almost certainly work. If not, send them out to be lasered. Even easier.

Spring Loaded Engraving Tool Engraves Flat, Curved, and Uneven Surfaces with a CNC Machine

If you really wanted to change height offsets at each location, just measure the height difference, between say, each letter, or location or whatever and program them separately. If location B is .002 higher than location A, you can just use the same settings and change your 'cut depth' or 'bottom height' or a few different things to be .002 higher. There are a multitude of ways to accomplish the same thing, both via setup and programming.

But seriously, just start with a spring loaded engraver.

Jus use an itty bitty endmill. .032 or so. It won't care if its .008 or .010 deep. Engraving will look the same everywhere.

Could you take a .010" pass with a face mill to even out the surface before you engrave?

He says the aluminum is already anodized, which is going to make cutting it harder no matter what, but I'm assuming that means no facing pass.

The 2L Spring Loaded Engraver will do what you need it to do; engrave uniformly, across inconsistent surfaces.
I've done it many, many times.

2L Inc will have you program 3000 RPM & 250 IPM Plunge, 13 IPM Feed, and a Z-0.05" deep engrave.
This is standard for any material, hardness, etc. (IIRC)
The spring (choice of 3) will determine the actual depth engraved, for the work, hardness, coating, etc....
Caveat: Keep the spring engraver tip, AWAY from edges of your parts by at least 0.03" or it will damage the tool and mechanism. (ask me how I know...:D)

Beyond that, I recommend a fiber laser.
(I just bought one from Boss, to be delivered 3/3. While most of the 30W fiber's run very close to cost, it is still about $23,500 :eek::bawling::ack2: more than the 2L engraver!)

Doug.

Back