What's new
What's new

2"-11 BSPP Thread Ring Gauges - Anybody have a set?

Tom3197

Hot Rolled
Hey All,

Total shot in the dark but I figure its worth a shot. Ordered these over 6 weeks ago and they were supposed to come this week.... well they won't be here till the 16th or 17th now :angry:

This is obviously going to kill my delivery date... and I know the customer will be pissed :ack2:.

So... does anybody have set and maybe we could work something out? I would only need them for a few days.

Can you 3-wire the parts? I know I can cut normal NPT pipe to size at the proper L1 length and the ring gauge will hit right on the money. I had some parts to make and had to make pipe threads on the rear of a part and had no way to check them with a gauge.

I had to make a couple dozen parts a while back with an external thread that was something like 2.45"-12UN. Planned to check the threads with wires but on larger sizes it seems you need at least 3 hands to use wires and a mic. I took a piece of 1/4 x 1/2 stock, drilled a pair of holes separated by one thread pitch, and a third hole centered between that pair and about .010 greater than the distance would be when the wires were sitting in a thread with the correct pitch diameter. Stuck the wires in the holes with a dab of Loctite

Drop the wires down across the thread, let the barstock rest on top of the thread, and its as easy to measure across the wires as it is to measure any other diameter. The separation of the wires in the fixture needs to be a little more than the theoretical distance across a perfect thread because you don't want them to spring outward when placed over the thread as that could give a bad reading. The mic will easily deflect the wires a few thou to seat in the thread without causing any error in the reading. Worked fine for about $395 less than the $400 quote I had for a ring gage that I'd likely never use again.

That's a good idea metlmunchr.

I guess I called and bitched enough about not having my ring gages that I got somebody's attention.... they ended up showing up monday unexpectedly so we're back to making parts. Doom canceled.

Back