What's new
What's new

2 axis lathe with automation

brian.pallas

Hot Rolled
We have parts we run that are just a 1" OD tube that gets a RH tap in on end, flip, LH tap in the other end and a knurl.

It's enough volume that at some point we may need to get another 2 axis lathe. But if we do, we are interested in getting one that has a robot to load and flip that parts, so it can run unattended.

What kind of recommendations do you guys have for just a 2 axis lathe with a robot?

Forget the robot. A simple lathe with a subspindle, part catcher and bar feeder would serve your needs well without the complexity a load/unload system would bring with it.

Don't know anything about robots (except how cool they are to watch) but a sub spindle will load and unload for you. Maybe an older screw machine for 1" OD?

R

SH Gobo got there

Well a bit more info, the tubes are "swaged" beforehand, which basically reduces the diameter for a length on each end, so it can't be made out of a bar. So the part will have to be loaded in by an external device, so if we would already need that, buying a sub spindle on the machine would just be spending more money. Since the robot should be able to grab the part and flip it.

What is the length of these tubes?

If they're short enough, barfeed the tube and swage them in the machine. With a subspindle you'll hit the ground running. Dead simple and easier adapt for future projects.

Swage them in the machine? I'm curious to know how much force that would take.

Robots are extremely simple to use. What makes them expensive, is the integration into the machine, safety fencing & components, end-of-arm tooling, etc.

You also have to eliminate as much as possible, influence from outside objects. Chips in the jaws for instance. Robots can't see, don't know and can't feel. (Well, you can make them see & feel with very expensive add-on options.) So if the robot doesn't know that there's chips in the jaws/collets, your machine won't know and that's where trouble comes from.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I like robots. I have a little experience with them. (Very little.) But have learned enough to know that robots need consistency to start with (Input), to provide consistent results. (Output)

Thinking outside the box - you can open a world of crazy possibilities, if you put a gripper in one of the tool-stations on the lathe... Let your imagination run wild.

Yes, I was thinking a robot like that. I thought I had seen somewhere robots that didn't need the cages.

Swaging in the machine was one of my first thoughts:) followed almost immediately by "ummmm, no" :)

I have a UR5 loading parts in a 5C collet in a 4th axis on a Haas Mini Mill. Does a great job, loads the parts with better and more consistent runout than I could.

Instagram

Seems like it would be a perfect app for you as well, cheap lathe and robot would be the ticket, robot could be re-deployed in the future.

Wasino has some gantry style loaders that we were looking at for a specific part. They were integrated on top of the machine and would reach down and swap parts all within the same footprint of the regular lathe.

I have a UR5 loading parts in a 5C collet in a 4th axis on a Haas Mini Mill. Does a great job, loads the parts with better and more consistent runout than I could.

Instagram

Seems like it would be a perfect app for you as well, cheap lathe and robot would be the ticket, robot could be re-deployed in the future.

Nice.

How did you integrate the chuck clamping?

Hi Brian:
Omniturn used to show off a system where they had two GT75's sitting back to back so the spindles pointed in opposite directions.
They rigged a very simple part loader on machine #1, and used a swing arm to load the half completed part over the back of machine #1, over the back of machine #2 and into machine#2's collet.
Sort of a poor boy's subspindle lathe, but the swing arm has to move something like a VMC's toolchanger arm because the second Omniturn spindle cannot move in Z relative to the first Omniturn spindle like it can on a proper subspindle lathe.
However, it doesn't have to flip the part so it's relatively simple, and you have two spindles turning at the same time so your output doubles.

I thought it was pretty damn slick for a poor boy solution.
Maybe the numbers will work out in your favour to do something like that?

The other solution I saw somewhere (I can't remember where) was to mount a simple part flipper on the gang slide and activate it with a mechanical bumper.
Doing it this way eats lots of cycle time, but it works too.
Of course, both ends of the part need to be symmetrical so you can grab them with the same collet.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

We have parts we run that are just a 1" OD tube that gets a RH tap in on end, flip, LH tap in the other end and a knurl.

It's enough volume that at some point we may need to get another 2 axis lathe. But if we do, we are interested in getting one that has a robot to load and flip that parts, so it can run unattended.

What kind of recommendations do you guys have for just a 2 axis lathe with a robot?

I have not read any replies - yet - but I bet this has already been mentioned, or at least it should have been:

A 2win spindle 2win turret lathe with a 20' run-out tube will solve your dilemma quickly, and will supply it's own "robot" and saw.

Need one with a full size sub, or one that will at least swallow your part WITH a sub-spindle liner, and pass-through sub. Run 17-24's in the front, and let finished parts drop out the back end. Set the counter to stop at the end of the tube, and load a nother. (don't forget the plug!)

Well a bit more info, the tubes are "swaged" beforehand, which basically reduces the diameter for a length on each end, so it can't be made out of a bar. So the part will have to be loaded in by an external device, so if we would already need that, buying a sub spindle on the machine would just be spending more money. Since the robot should be able to grab the part and flip it.

OK - so there are strings attached that you didn't disclose...

We still don't know the length or D of the parts, but I'm still not giving up on the 2win turret answer yet.
Load one in the front, let the gripper unload the sub before transfer, and hit both parts at once. (given enough daylight between spindles)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It sounds like you're running closed turnbuckle bodies. Do you need to put the mid hole in as well?

If this is a dedicated-ish machine, why not do it on the turret. Your turret positions hold the knurling tool, tap drill, RH and LH taps. On the opposite side of the turret, you mount a grabber/flipper. It grabs the body, the chuck unclamps, turret moves Z+ to clear, flipper actuates, Z- back into the chuck, reclamp. When you're done, drop it in a parts basket.

have you ever looked at Toellner loaders? they can load/unload through the door without opening it. something like that with a genos L300 MYW (tiwn spindle). something like a through door loader would be faster loading than a gantry style overhead or armed robot. one problem with gantry or even abb/armed style robots is you have to open and close the door which takes about 10 seconds a pop. i would try to make one part complete opposed to first side/second side machining. you would get a part every cycle and if you had a pair of machines using first op/second op, if one side goes down, both sides aren't making parts.

Back