What's new
What's new

2 types of BT35?

vegard

Aluminum
Hi,
I just put a kitamura MyCenter 1 in my garage, and I am trying to get it tooled up.

Looks like there are 2 types of BT35 with slightly different pull stud bores and the v-flange slightly different? I just learned this while trying to use my brand new holders...

I got 4 nikken sk10 collet chucks and a couple centaur ER16's that are the wrong type (looks like MAS BT35 vs regular BT35) These are brand new...

What gives here?? I guess there are machines out there that use this other spec of BT35?

Anyone know a source for ER chucks with the old BT35 to fit my kitamura? I am not even sure how to tell which one I am looking at online, as no one seems to differentiate the two specs, but so far 100% of what I have bought new has been wrong....

See here http://www.lyndexnikken.com/cp/303A/E189.pdf

Thanks

Vegard

Here's a dumb idea: It looks like the MAS BT35 could be machined into regular BT35. Hard turning maybe? It might cut through the case hardening though...

I would need to remove:
.063" from the flange and pull stud end
.0091 per side on the taper.
open the pull stud pilot ID by .020 or turn down the pull studs.

How bad an idea is this?

I would shy away from recutting the taper unless maybe you have a really precise lathe to do it on. A tiny amount of error there will make a huge difference.

I think BT35 is BT35. Maybe you got cat35?

I would not touch the taper on a lathe, but the flange can be cut by any heavy lathe. Toolholders are not that hard you just a stout lathe that will not notice the index slots.

The last one I turned down I took the entire flange off in one pass. It got me past the index slots so it wasn't an interrupted cut anymore. Like .400 DOC and .007/rev peeled it right off.

Are there part #'s on the holders? It almost looks like one is a standard BT35, and the other is a dual contact BT35... but I could be wrong. I wouldn't mess with re-machining the tapers and flanges as you might cause damage to your spindle.BT - Big-Plus.JPG

It's strange. There is one on ebay that lists the toolholder as MAS BT 35. That Lyndex page sure had two different versions.

Kitamura MyCenter1 CNC Drilling Center | eBay

edit to add: OP should measure the drive keys on the spindle and see which one is correct. The difference is the width of the keys and the distance from the gage line to the v-groove. Those are tool changer accomodations.

Back