What's new
What's new

24K Robodrill and steel..... Have you tried it?

huskermcdoogle

Stainless
Anyone cut steel with a 24k Robodrill? I have two, currently sitting, nothing planed in their future currently and a friend who has some mild steel jobs I could tackle with potential for repeat orders. I know it would have to be light and fast. I have all of the bells and whistles on that front control wise. These were spec'd out and set up to be high speed surfacing animals.

Curious on what cutters may have been used, solid, inserted? Mix of both? How did they do?

Was there enough torque to get the job done?

Anyone cut steel with a 24k Robodrill? I have two, currently sitting, nothing planed in their future currently and a friend who has some mild steel jobs I could tackle with potential for repeat orders. I know it would have to be light and fast. I have all of the bells and whistles on that front control wise. These were spec'd out and set up to be high speed surfacing animals.

Curious on what cutters may have been used, solid, inserted? Mix of both? How did they do?

Was there enough torque to get the job done?
We've done some in a pinch. Parts were small, so 10mm and smaller endmills and HSM style toolpaths, but worked well.

Was actually faster than on our 40 taper Mori. So no reason why it couldn't be made to work, just gotta put a little more thought on tooling and tool paths. Use shortest possible holders!

DO NOT use inserted cutters.
Even for facemilling, better use zigzag endmill pattern.
Good solid coated endmill will last countless hours on steel.

I'd be buying holders from you anyway Frank... Typically my first stop when looking for holders.

How about some HSK63F collet chucks and heat shrink?

Back