What's new
What's new

30 taper tooling, modify to QC #30 (for bridgeport with quick change spindle).

diyengineer253

Hot Rolled
Hello everyone,

Kennametal still sells #30 QC holders, and they are a TON of $ compared to NMTB #30 that shars sells. While i realize shars tooling is probably not the best of the best, the things im doing are not industrial 24/7. What would it cost roughly to grind/turn NMTB #30 holder into the QC #30 spec? Someone said they could be modifed, but that is beyond my equipment i own, and skill set. If someone knows anyone, or could throw out a $, it would help. (some people reported certain import brands are already usuable as QC #30 but varies widely).

Thank you,

Diyengineer253

As it happens I have a few Kennametal QC holders I was going to list. I have 3 qc30jt3219 drill chuck arbors, 2 DA180 collet holders, and 1 TG100 holder, Also 2 Tapmatic extension/compression holders with 3/4 straight shank, #6-1/2 cap (one holder is cracked). $130 plus what ever a flat rate box would cost. Interested?

Ed.

I had a spec sheet that explained what needed to be modified to make the NMTB work, but can't find it right now. I did one a while ago (crudely I might add) and I remember that I had to build up an area with weld prior to machining. It worked, and was accurate but I never liked the way it tightened. Just didn't feel right.

J.
ps If you're not interested in the holders Ed is offering I would be.

This is from memory (read it somewhere else) but IIRC, the outer diameter of the NMBT flange has to be reduced, then if the tool holders are going to be used with the QC locking collar, the collar needs to be readjusted to grip the thinner NMBT flange. Once readjusted, real QC 30 tool holders will no longer fit.

Dennis

I've converted a few NMTB 40 holders to QC 40. While there is a spec for the NMTB 40 flange, there's also a huge real-world variation in what was actually made. Usually, machining away some of the flange thickness from the front (tool end) of the flange is sufficient to get the NMTB 40 to lock up nicely in a QC 40 master. Occasionally you'll need also to reduce the flange diameter. Presumably 30 is like 40 in this regard, only smaller.

I would not modify the QC master. If you've got an NMTB holder where the flange is too thin (very unusual in my experience), get another holder of the same type but different brand. Or build up the NMTB flange thickness with braze.

As it happens I have a few Kennametal QC holders I was going to list. I have 3 qc30jt3219 drill chuck arbors, 2 DA180 collet holders, and 1 TG100 holder, Also 2 Tapmatic extension/compression holders with 3/4 straight shank, #6-1/2 cap (one holder is cracked). $130 plus what ever a flat rate box would cost. Interested?

Ed.

Might be interested in some of those. Namely the drill chuck arbors and tapmatics.

To answer the OP - It depends on what you're planning on doing with them. If going from QC 30 to a draw bar, using NMTB30 holders, then yes. You can do this just fine and many people have.

Back