What's new
What's new

316 stainless- your favorite drills for that stuff

WILLEO6709

Diamond
I recently did a little job in 316 stainless, nothing crazy- 1.25 round x 3 inches long with 2 little bitty cross holes- not quite 1/8 inch. I was surprised how many steel jobbers the job ate up- even tried a cabide " high tuff" and that did not go as well as I thought it would. What works to drill this stuff?

I have not drilled much of it yet... But when I have and used a Widia Top Cut 4 I was simply amazed at the performance. It won't help your small hole issue because these are insert drills but..... Wow... I can't believe how fast and quiet they run.

I'm interested to see what others are using. My workload has swung 180 degrees from almost 100% aluminum to almost 100% 304 and 316. Talk about a learning curve... I have not worked any real amount of SS in 25 years.

YG-1 Gold P split point 8% cobalt jobbers. I think they go down to Ø1/16". 35-50 SFM, 1xD pecks just to play it safe has always worked for me

I was running precision twist drill jobbers at about 20 sfm, 1/4 d pecks, feed about .0004/ rev. going halfway from each side after center drilling ( surprising not an issue ) I think the main issue was meeting in the middle. I wanted to come in from both sides to push the bar to the middle and deburr the outside nice with a live ball endmill.... but maybe it was a flawed plan. The carbide I was running 80 sfm and about 1 ipm feed... got about 20 holes to 8 on the jobbers.

For my use, low qty parts, I still mostly use PTD cobalt screw machine drills. For me they've been cost effective.

I really like the Titex / Walter stuff. In high speed steel jobber length A1249 XPL, screw machine length A1149 XPL. XPL coating is really good. For small cross drills I don't usually bother with carbide. Productivity does take a bit of a hit.

316 stainless can be all over the map. Sometimes you can try everything and it doesn't seem to get any better. I've run stuff that cuts like butter, then load in the next batch and find burrs everywhere and tool life plummets. A little counter intuitive perhaps, but if you look at the heat information I've found the stuff where the yield strength is closer to the tensile strength gives longer tool life. Sorta makes sense - the higher yield stuff is less gummy.

Who is the supplier? If you can, try to get the Ugima stuff from Schmolz-Bickenbach. It is expensive but worth every penny. The best part about the Ugima stuff is it is consistent. You don't have to worry about the next batch plotting to destroy all your tooling. With the Ugima I run 50 sfm for XPL HSS with the feed about 80% of what Titex recommends.

Try to avoid off shore stainless. Very popular with the purchasing department until you tell them to look at the tooling bill for the job run. Of course this is after the fact, and all is forgot the next time the material is ordered :rolleyes5:.

Corodrill 880 or 860 or mits drills + 1000 psi through drill coolant. No issues ever here I am at 500+ holes on my 860s and the same for a 1.125 880, same insert sides and no resharpen i am expecting thousands of holes from these drills/inserts. They just work. The few Mitsubishi drills we have used seem to work equally as well. Also all of our drill times are in seconds, and we go with recommended feeds/speeds.

MA Ford carbide drills,Altima coated. They don't cost much more than a good name coated HSS or cobalt drill, but man, do they perform.

I recently did a little job in 316 stainless, nothing crazy- 1.25 round x 3 inches long with 2 little bitty cross holes- not quite 1/8 inch. I was surprised how many steel jobbers the job ate up- even tried a cabide " high tuff" and that did not go as well as I thought it would. What works to drill this stuff?

hi wille, once a year i cut many parts with a similar size hole, but deeper ( 8d )

is not 316stainless exactly, but is not a walk in the park

can you cut those cross holes after ?

for my setup, after testing some tools, i used korloy + amec + kyocera

all the best !

I machine a lot of 316 and use Chicago Latrobe 135 degree split point Cobalt stub drills on almost everything here with good results.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

hi wille

i dont know your part, but mine uses 4 clamps :
- long hole is machined in 2nd clamp
- cross holes are machined in 3rd clamp ( thus after the long hole )

material was pretty nasty, effort values were raising suddenly from 90% to 130-150%

i tested more than 8 different drills, trying&succeeding to reduce costs with tools, without increasing machining time

of course, it is possible that my tool palette won't suit your needs

hi wille

i dont know your part, but mine uses 4 clamps :
- long hole is machined in 2nd clamp
- cross holes are machined in 3rd clamp ( thus after the long hole )

material was pretty nasty, effort values were raising suddenly from 90% to 130-150%

i tested more than 8 different drills, trying&succeeding to reduce costs with tools, without increasing machining time

of course, it is possible that my tool palette won't suit your needs

clamps? cripes I am doing this in a lathe.... load bar, face, turn, cross drill, deburr, subspindle pull, cutoff, and backface. part is only a few inches long and I only had a couple a dozen to do.

i was also talking about a lathe ( chuck clamp / unclamp ) ; sorry for the confusion

i did not fully explained my tool choices :
- kyocera : nice cost with 2 inserts drills
- korloy : nice cost with 1 carbide insert drills
- amec : nice cost with 1 hss insert drills

Last edited:
Overall toughness and less issues. Just buy some cobalt and rock and roll. 304 and 316 daily around here. Lot less tooling cost. And regrind fairly simple.

Back