What's new
What's new

Fanuc offsets off

ARB

Titanium
I had an odd one just happen.

A job that was pronounced ready to roll at end of the day yesterday does not run today. I have a simple 2 tool lathe job set-up. I got everything dialed in and called it a day.

Today I fire up the machine and go to run the first part and now my tools are waaaaayyy off in both X and Z.:eek: They both seem to be off a similar amount. About .625" roughly by eye. If I had let it rip I would have had a pretty good wreck on my hands.

I brought T1 down to see how that matched up and that was also off. T1 has not changed in over a year. I used T1 to machine the fixture and all was well.

I restarted the machine twice to see if it was a crazy alignment problem.
Same result.:angry:

Oddly I can bring an empty boring socket down to X0 in machine coordinates and it is visually aligned.:confused:

Any idea what the hell happened here and how to I get it back?

The machine is a Hardinge Talent 852 with a Fancu OiTc control.

I'm stumped.

I had an odd one just happen.

A job that was pronounced ready to roll at end of the day yesterday does not run today. I have a simple 2 tool lathe job set-up. I got everything dialed in and called it a day.

Today I fire up the machine and go to run the first part and now my tools are waaaaayyy off in both X and Z.:eek: They both seem to be off a similar amount. About .625" roughly by eye. If I had let it rip I would have had a pretty good wreck on my hands.

I brought T1 down to see how that matched up and that was also off. T1 has not changed in over a year. I used T1 to machine the fixture and all was well.

I restarted the machine twice to see if it was a crazy alignment problem.
Same result.:angry:

Oddly I can bring an empty boring socket down to X0 in machine coordinates and it is visually aligned.:confused:

Any idea what the hell happened here and how to I get it back?

The machine is a Hardinge Talent 852 with a Fancu OiTc control.

I'm stumped.

My bet is it's referenced off by 1 turn of the screws. Is it an absolute or incremental encoder machine?

Hopefully you figger it out and report back strait away!

I have a 16T that all of a sudden started having Z axis ghosts. Scrapped the last part of a 30 pc run a few weeks ago. A new 16" D blank aint cheap, and I have seven 19" blanks to run this weekend now. :skep:

Not even HOMED the machine in the mean time either... ???

Maybe if you figger out what's up with yours, it will fix mine too!

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I was thinking the One rev on the screw deal. Any idea what parameter tells the screw pitch? I looked through the parameter manual for a while but gave up when my eyeballs started bleeding.

The odd thing is I seldom make a comp adjustment on this machine. All the finish tools run with PCD inserts and I always fire up a new program and things are spot on. Once in a blue moon I need to comp a thread tool a bit.

On a brighter note Ox. We are getting some snot I mean snow tonight.;)

Referencing off by one turn of the screw seems reasonable for one axis, but both axes?

QB

My thoughts 'zactly....

Arby - from the sounds of it - you don't have many progs in the library eh?

I know that I have said it many times before, but I have TWO diff Fanucs that have gotten funny doo to too full'a libraries. One is continually that way - the other hasn't done it in yrs now, even with lots of progs in it aggin.

Never seen this issue tho...

:scratchchin:

... well - the library is pretty full in my 16T that just started acting up.... :scratchchin:

We had heavy rain here all afternoon.
Got all my deliveries done before it let loose. :bowdown:
However I had to load and strap down my propane gas tanks for the forktrucks during 35* rain. :ack2:

Our daytime rain could be your overnight slush....

--------------

If it dried back out once we would be crying about a drought.
Never happy with the weather.... :toetap:
Ox

I am not too high on program numbers but.... I am 2 higher than I was.

The machine has been sitting for a little while....:(

Once I cobbled the offsets to make good parts all seems well and repeats.

I will keep an eagle on it for a while.

In other news my Brand Friggin new PCD insert lasted for about 5 parts. :angry:
I think I found an inclusion in the casting. :bawling:

Oh Ox....It tis snowing right now.:D

Bud - let me tell yuh - I am one happy camper ratt about now!
Bounce.gif

Going into a 4 day weekend knowing that you have 5000# of 1045 to run through a machine with a known Z axis ghost with parts due on Monday - leaves a fella a bit uneasy....

However....

I found MY ghost!

Ended up being a tapered pin that holds the driven gear to the lead screw had FALLEN OUT! :eek:

At first when I seen it, I expected sheared. I push some good sized stuff with this heifer. A 3.500" insert drill would be the highest machining thrust, but I also when needing to seat a big part in the chuck, I will shove a tool up agginst a 2by and push on it and then release the chuck and reclose it. Occassionally we could have gotten a bit too much thrust on it one time, but haven't done that it a while, and the last part of a 30 pc run is when it appeared, so that didn't hardly make sence that it was from pushing on it.

But a sheared pin would catch here and there and would seem to make sence, but then I looked down in the url bath, and there she was - in all her glory .... one complete tapered pin, with no signs of molestation. :rolleyes5:

NOW - the job just requires that you line it up and shove it back in aggin.... well - 'cept for the fact that a tapered pin only goes in one di-rection. I know that it would seem like a 50/50 chance that when you git the gear spun around to a hole that it would be right ... but it is like hooking up 3-phase warrs. The rule book says 50/50, but unlike a bookworm, those of us that have actually hooked up several machines _ we know that the 50/50 rule only applies 50% of the time. The rest are just plain wrong. And of course mine was as well....

But now - I really don't see that pin comming out of that seat on her own accord aggin in my lifetime. :D:D:D

From the time that the ghost re-appeared tonight to the time the cause was found, the repair was done, case filled with url, and all Z offsets updated - couldn't'a been over an hr and a half on the outside. I guess THAT was my 50/50 on the other 50% of the time eh? FINALLY got one of those! :bowdown:

Good luck with your ghost there chumm!
RockOn2.gif

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back