What's new
What's new

Is this acceptable on a new tool?

TonyStark

Aluminum
I just bought this CAT40 to C5 Capto adapter brand new - I got a crazy deal on a couple of interesting Capto tools and needed a CAT40 adapter. I'll leave the brand names out of it for now but its from a major tool manufacturer and purchased through a reputable online vendor. The tools have 8 or so scuffs going axially along the taper (one of these is visible in the first image) and another deeper mark that I can just barely feel with my fingernail(second image). The vendor checked and all of the tools they have in stock have similar marks. I can easily return it - I am just wondering if I am being overly cautious with this and if its something I should actually be worried about? The tooling is for a brand new VMC, so I hate to use it if might remotely damage the shiny new spindle.

IMG_9415.jpg

IMG_9414.jpg

I've never seen marks like that on a properly made and stored toolholder. Get it replaced, by all means.

On the nice shiny spindle - you've got "new car syndrome". It'll get scuffed and dinged pretty quickly, don't fret about it too much.

[Sorry for the pun...]

Thanks for the reply. I have to do a bit of shopping around because all of the Capto adapters that this particular manufacturer has in stock have the same marks!

Can you feel them? At all...?

If you can feel the marks - reject them. If you can't feel them, then keep them.

On the visible/superficial marks - a course scotch-brite pad will remove the marks very easily. It would also be fair to say that if scotch-brite will remove the marks, then it's not worth worrying about, and should be kept.

If its from a reputable manufacturer. (As you mentioned). They may be marks from being in a master taper. A test gauge or similar, especially one that has had clamp load on it, to test for run out. Don't quote me on it. But I think Frank (Mari), had a similar quandary. But as I remember it was to do with sending out 1 in 10 heat shrinks that have been tested, and sending them out with the typical blue heat signature of a heat shrink tool holder.

Surely there has to be a percentage of finished tool holders that get checked. Your second picture looks like some sort of marker. White lead? Japanese still use it. And I'd note, the mark on the left hand side, large end of the taper is wiped off.

I'd hit it with some acetone, on a blue shop towel wipe, and see if those marks just disappears.

I'd Dykem high-spot blue them, and see if there is an issue.

(Insert Bob W smurf hand here >>>)

Regards Phil.

So, maybe all of them get checked in some sort of master gauge? That would make sense- the mark in the first image was replicated almost perfectly 8 or 10 times around the taper and I couldn't feel those marks anyway.

The mark in the second image was something to could definitely feel- but maybe it was some sort of white lead or something and not a scratch like I though thought. I had tried to clean with alcohol and a shop towel no it didn't do much. Scott bright and acetone took care of it though! Looks good now- thanks for the comments!

If its from a reputable manufacturer. (As you mentioned). They may be marks from being in a master taper. A test gauge or similar, especially one that has had clamp load on it, to test for run out. Don't quote me on it. But I think Frank (Mari), had a similar quandary. But as I remember it was to do with sending out 1 in 10 heat shrinks that have been tested, and sending them out with the typical blue heat signature of a heat shrink tool holder.

Surely there has to be a percentage of finished tool holders that get checked. Your second picture looks like some sort of marker. White lead? Japanese still use it. And I'd note, the mark on the left hand side, large end of the taper is wiped off.

I'd hit it with some acetone, on a blue shop towel wipe, and see if those marks just disappears.

I'd Dykem high-spot blue them, and see if there is an issue.

(Insert Bob W smurf hand here >>>)

Regards Phil.

Does look like lead white/white lead. The way it's streaked (good eye).

Back