What's new
What's new

Acroloc 15/40 Fanuc SV013 codes Repaired. Finally. was so simple.. after all

Hot Headz Marine

Hot Rolled
After so many good people and Fanuc support, several crooked mechanics trying to shyster me out of THOUSANDS... The acroloc interface board was all that was bad.. 40.00 bucks from a great seller on ebay, free shipping and bam.... machine works perfect now.. all of the hair pulling looking way to deep into issues that were never found and I just took a good guess and now its running all axis with no SV013 codes.

:confused:

You took a wild ass guess and got lucky with a repair. But the mechanics who wanted to systematically test things were shysters?

LUCK! not absolutely, I and my head watercraft Mechanic Tech systematically tested everything, rather than bore you with months of correspondence shared...in summary, 1 guy wanted 4500.00 to try and diagnose. the other tried to charge me 1950.00 just to come look at it.
I had fanuc on email support for free and we did all the testing ourselves for free.
Says a lot for Fanuc support. Kudos to them...
The problems were even filmed and sent to several that that claim to know the systems and though 2 tried to help with pure honesty..Mckenna service and Fanuc Technical support.. it was a simpler deduction after that since multiple items had issues the com. from MTB interface was the only logical assumption. And was correct. I would sayy that that any mechanic would have come to that same conclusion eventually. BUt 4500.00 to try!!!!! 1950.00 to show up!!! those 2 are crooks.. in the simplest understanding of the word.

Apparently you are new to the world of CNC repairs. Typical costs for something like Okuma, Mazak, Mori, et al will be $100/hour travel plus $.65/mile and $150-$200/hour for on site work with a 4 hour minimum plus lodging and per diem for overnight stays.

Assuming a guy travels 3 hours (Texas is a big state, could be a lot more) and spends 15 hours troubleshooting, you're right around $4,000.

You have to pay to play in this world. Guys here seem to think that it should somehow be cheaper to make the same repair to 30 year old CNC machine worth $5000 than to a 2 year old machine worth $150,000 and it just doesn't work that way.

Wes is in the right price range, we bought a new manual mill at work for me to use after health and safety looked at it they wanted a E stop button on it before i could use it. Work would not let me install it. So one hour each way drive and 30 mins to install total $900 for a $25 E stop button installed. This is in Canada where they really bend you over!!!

There may be some pain in the ass factor here as well. I know that if someone called me to work on an Acroloc I'd hike up my prices in hopes that they would call someone else...

About 10 years ago I was talking to the now retired owner of essentially the only
machine tool sales company out here.. We were talking about a repair that his tech
did in the shop I was working at.. NOW I realize his rates were really reasonable.
$90 an hour for travel, $110 an hour working and $50 for an overnight.

The owner said he had to go up to $110 an hour on travel also, he was losing money..

I didn't believe him, so he gave me a little business/math lesson... 75 miles per hour
that he had to pay the tech 50 something cents a mile. That's $40, tech was making around
$30.. Up to $70 an hour now... Add in the SS and insurance and vaca time and we are getting
towards $80.. And now if the guy is on overtime, we're getting right towards $100 an hour
for a $30 an hour tech to drive. Also count in that they didn't whack you for gassing up time,
piss time, traffic jam time etc... 220 miles, you got charged 3 hours, the tech may be
getting paid for 4 to make the drive...

He was losing money on travel..

And then not every hour is billable.. Need to pay for that somehow.. I never paid a penny for that same guy
to talk to me on the phone and baby step me through a problem..

Compared to what you pay Cletus to change a water pump.. Its rather reasonable... The total cost may
be ugly at the end, but when you break it down, its rather fair.

Bottom line is if you own a cnc you better know how to fix some stuff or you will be paying $$$, another problem with older stuff some younger cnc techs have never even seen older machines and don`t know where to start. Glad i am a member here i had a hell of a lot of help from some very smarts guys on here!!!!

well aware of what cost should be for repairing, no problem paying up to 300.00 per hour for a qualified tech. Been fixing stuff for many years, new and old..
newer machines are much more complex. example.. 69 camaro with a 327 and a 2 barrel carb.. or 2017 camaro with near 18000 psi fuel rails..
bet you can get the old one fixed much cheaper.

pay to play... really... come on man. i'd expect to hear cost of doing business.. but also would expect honesty in dealings.

It just depends. Brake job on a 69 Camaro will likely cost the same as a 2009. Except you might have a hard time finding someone who can adjust 4 wheel drum brakes and the parts might not be in stock at the local Napa store.

69 Camaro starts running rough and you have to find some crusty guy to rebuild your Rochester carb or clean the points or find a vacuum leak. 2009 Camaro run rough and you take it to Auto Zone and some pimply kid hooks a scan tool up to your ECM and sends you home with a $40 TPS sensor.

These kind of repair cost numbers would scare me into to doing a Linuxcnc retrofit. If you have an old but useful machine that you will only use 10 hours a month for the next 20 years what do you do? Pay $4000 to have a machine fixed only to have it break down six months later, that sounds stressful. I have just bought a nice 2005 or so Taiwanese VMC with an Anilam 6000M control for $8000US, it works now but I don't know what I will do the first time it has a control related problem.

All great input. Really.
6 one way 1/2 dozen the other... scared to buy a newer machine...then I'll "have" to pay the price sounds like.
Im a pretty quick learner but no genius obviously.

Whats a good recommendation on a 4 axis medium duty machine? 20x40
230 3phase.
I've looked at so many their all starting to blend together.

I see HAAS all over the place but look a little skimpy...small lead screws, ect...not happy bout that i think....i see many uses machines with outdated and limited controls... cant name them off hand..but no thanks...liking the Fanuc so far...
maybe some of you could help me out with what NOT TO BUY...ive made my first mistake and sure as hell dont want a repeat..

Any input?

I don't know what machine would be good for your needs but Fanuc controls are made well and lots of parts out their if you need them, also they have factory support. Both my machines are Fanuc controlled. If you want more input about brands i would say guys need to know your price range. I know my mori lathe is is over 30 years old and still making great parts just alittle slower.

All great input. Really.
6 one way 1/2 dozen the other... scared to buy a newer machine...then I'll "have" to pay the price sounds like.
Im a pretty quick learner but no genius obviously.

Whats a good recommendation on a 4 axis medium duty machine? 20x40
230 3phase.

Any input?

Cheap to buy, cheap and easy to fix, parts and free support readily available from many sources,
AND a 4th axis????

Y'all know what I'm going to say..

What machines you running? And what fanuc series?
Curious
I don't know what machine would be good for your needs but Fanuc controls are made well and lots of parts out their if you need them, also they have factory support. Both my machines are Fanuc controlled. If you want more input about brands i would say guys need to know your price range.

My mill is a YCM rebel 3 only 3 axis with fanuc OM and my lathe is a Mori Seiki with fanuc 6T they work for what i need. I will say plan on fixing stuff on any older machines for the most part. Up here in the cold you got to look hard to find a good machine at a good price, tons of machines for sale for better prices in the USA dam 3 more years till i move south for good.

Back