What's new
What's new

Twin spindle live tooling lathes

Twin Spindle Etc

Whats the most reliable twin spindle, multiaxis, live tooling cnc lathe on the market now and how much are they.
Hi
I'm sure you'll get dozens of replies based on personal preference and experience. My choice for smaller machines(Ø25mm parts) is Tornos Bechler. We run 10 axis machines with multiple live tools and they've been historically very reliable. Expect to pay about KA$400 for a fully tooled up machine with bar feeder.
Others on the forum will quite rightly support Star, Citizen and Tsugami for a number of reasons - not sure on price - although I'm sure someone can help.
Regards
Mike

They all sound nice, just got to have the right work and the check book ready. Work piece size (bar diameter) does matter, barfed or not, real long parts or not, etc can add or subtract from the price.

machines

I think even a used one would be nice. A used 32C Ganesh if you can find them are around 65K and up. There twin spindle, 7 axis, lots of live tools. Is there anything out there in the used market around 30K or less?

Very wide open field, but I would go to Okuma Captain L370MW. Easy to program, I've seen the machine crash hard enough so it jumps off the ground and not have any problems after. I would guess it would run around $125K on your floor right now. Supply and demand with machine tools, I've sold new machines for 100k one month because we had a lot in stock and then the next 120k because they were sold out and nobody wanted to order something that was over stocked the month before. Just keep your eye out on a couple and if you can wait a couple months for the right deal to pop up. Right now machine tool market is nuts, it's hard to get delivery on any popular new machines. Good luck!

Innovative
Used CNC

Very wide open field, but I would go to Okuma Captain L370MW. Easy to program, I've seen the machine crash hard enough so it jumps off the ground and not have any problems after. I would guess it would run around $125K on your floor right now.

New with subspindle and a handful of radial and axial heads?

The Okuma Captain MW is a fantastic machine, but I have crashed one and it was out, saying that you can have collisions that move the pads off the foundation and still run accurately is uhm a bold statement, crashes happen and they hurt. Also the Mori NZ and NL series are very nice. 100k it is what it is. Alot of money no matter what! You may want to look at used Haas automation for under 50.

Robert

Lots of good Japanese machines too. Mazak, Mori Seiki, and Matsura spring to mind. Daewoo and Doosan are also highly regarded. I've worked a few Okuma's although none with live tooling and they were all good machines with a lot to recommend them. Which brand you get depends on what is available at what price/condition and what capabilities it has.

Stephen

We just got a new Hardinge Elite w/ sub spindle and it ran 121K on our floor LNS Quickload 65, Turbo Conveyor and 4 live tools (2 radial and 2 double ended axial). It is a nice machine and holds size very well however I bet I could have done better buying something else. From what I was told this was one of the last lathes built at Hardinge ( Besides the T42sp's ) and the fit and finish on it was not tops. I had to re silicone a bunch of places on the enclosure, which was a pain in the ass after the coolant started leaking. I don't know what a new comparable Mori NL would be but a quick glance at Ebay shows a NL2500 MC w/o sub spindle asking for 119k, going for?
Dan

I've been around the Nakamura Tome machines long enough to appreciate them, they are solid. Mori Seiki are excellent, plus Okuma, Mazak, and now DMG are all in the top tier. Figure on roughly between $140K and $180K. Much more for size and beaucoup accessories.

There are now some really good machines from what used to be second tier suppliers, including Daewoo, Hwacheon, and others that land in the $120K to $160K range. Even the newer Haas ain't half bad in the area of $100K to $130K, as long as you take it easy on the machine.

We just got a new Hardinge Elite w/ sub spindle and it ran 121K on our floor LNS Quickload 65, Turbo Conveyor and 4 live tools (2 radial and 2 double ended axial). It is a nice machine and holds size very well however I bet I could have done better buying something else. From what I was told this was one of the last lathes built at Hardinge ( Besides the T42sp's ) and the fit and finish on it was not tops. I had to re silicone a bunch of places on the enclosure, which was a pain in the ass after the coolant started leaking. I don't know what a new comparable Mori NL would be but a quick glance at Ebay shows a NL2500 MC w/o sub spindle asking for 119k, going for?
Dan

The Elite series has always been a Tiawann machine. They WERE shipping them to Elmyra historically. Not sure if Elmyra did any QC on them or not. ??? As of the restructure of the sales dept last yr, all new Tiawann machines go directly to Gosiger or whoever the other dealer(s?) is (are?). They doo not pass Elmyra, they doo not add $200 in fees. This includes all Bridgeport VMC's as well.

The T42's of old AND new are both Elmyra built machines and are top of the line machines.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You mentioned Ganesh 32C, makes me think you're looking for a swiss type machine, not a twin spindle turning center. Bit of a difference there. They come up used but not seen much that was under the 30K budget unless you want to go for 20-15yrs old, or get a great deal somewhere.

twin spindle, multiaxis, live tooling

With machines from Tornos and Tsugami we cover sizes from 0.032″ to 1″ diameter parts with varying degrees of complexity. For example our Deco 13 has thirteen programmable axis with radial and axial live tooling in a mindboggling number of configurations allowing us to produce weird and wonderful shapes. Check out our swiss photo gallery for some examples and contact us at 905.847.1565 or visit our online form if you have any questions in regards to our Swiss Type Precision Machining and Swiss Turning Services we offer in Canada and USA.

Mori Seiki NLX 2500SY my baby :) love it... running a 4ft bar automatically right now.. change bar every 20 pcs... love it

Having run only Nakamura-Tome twin spindles I can't speak to which one is "best". I think best would have to do with what kind of work you're trying to push through them.

We have an old WT-250 and two newer WT-150s with twin spindles, twin turrets and live tooling on both sides. It was kind of a booger to figure out how to program 'em due to the fact there is no real good source for info out there on what they're expecting, or at least there wasn't when I started on them 10 years ago. Once you get it figured out they're not much harder than programming a 3-axis mill.

As far as durability these have been pretty rock-solid with plenty of support for parts and service and general troubleshooting.

All three of ours have Iemca bar feeders. We run a lot of high quantity jobs so it's important that they stay up and running, which they do.

twin spindle, multiaxis, live tooling

With machines from Tornos and Tsugami we cover sizes from 0.032″ to 1″ diameter parts with varying degrees of complexity. For example our Deco 13 has thirteen programmable axis with radial and axial live tooling in a mindboggling number of configurations allowing us to produce weird and wonderful shapes. Check out our swiss photo gallery for some examples and contact us at 905.847.1565 or visit our online form if you have any questions in regards to our Swiss Type Precision Machining and Swiss Turning Services we offer in Canada and USA.

Yeah... bumping a 7 year old thread to shill your services isn't the way to get a warm welcome here...

I am looking at 1999 MORI SEIKI, No. SL-150 SMC, MSC-501 FANUC

I am going to look at it at 4pm today. The pictures of the machine look good, the machine has live tools, a sub spindle and bar feed. This could be a huge help to us and at the price $25K it would be a pretty painless way to find out if live tools and a Sub would be a game changer for us. We do a ton of two Op parts in the 100-200 piece quantity with flats and holes most parts are under 1-1/2 Dia.

I know it's old but it's also a Morie with a Fanuc control.

Please let me know if you have had any experience with these Morie's

Thanks

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

I am looking at 1999 MORI SEIKI, No. SL-150 SMC, MSC-501 FANUC

I am going to look at it at 4pm today. The pictures of the machine look good, the machine has live tools, a sub spindle and bar feed. This could be a huge help to us and at the price $25K it would be a pretty painless way to find out if live tools and a Sub would be a game changer for us. We do a ton of two Op parts in the 100-200 piece quantity with flats and holes most parts are under 1-1/2 Dia.

I know it's old but it's also a Morie with a Fanuc control.

Please let me know if you have had any experience with these Morie's

Thanks

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Anyone Have anything to offer on this machine ? I did not get to see it yesterday things got crazy at work and I could not make the trip. I will see it before the week is out and it would help a lot if someone could give me some information on it.

Thanks

Ron

Back