What's new
What's new

Aluminium End Mills. What are you using?

Fenza

Plastic
I need to find a good source of coated metric carbide end mills for aluminium. I hear great things of Lakeshore Carbide being reasonably priced with their Variable flutes and Zirconium Nitride coating but they don't do them in Metric. I'd like to find something similar to Lakeshore Carbide, any recommendations?

Since you're in the UK, you might look up Seco-Jabro JS4xx series endmills. The JS412 & 413 cutters are uncoated, 2 & 3 flute, differential-pitch, with 40* helix and 20* radial rake angles. They should perform exceptionally well in aluminum. If you have more abrasive aluminum, the JS452 & JS453 endmills have polished coatings, and less helix & radial rake angles. These are also dfferential-pitch, and are available in long-length versions, as well as with corner chamfers & radii.

I don't use vari-flutes on aluminum.
I can recommend ITC 3081 & 3091 range for ally. I use them all the time and cut tons(literally) of ally with them. You can take out an account with them and they will give you upto 60% discount on list prices. They always have everything in stock and delivery the following day. Down load their catalog.
I also use SGS Z-Carb's but you need to go through an agent for them. Also down load their catalog . All come in metric sizes as well as imperial.

I buy most of my solid tools from WNT. Premium tools, premium prices, but they discount heavily. Huge range, very rare to need something that they don't have on the shelf.

I agree with the others though, YG are very good value for money. Unfortunately their range doesn't stray far from the basics.

I agree with the others though, YG are very good value for money. Unfortunately their range doesn't stray far from the basics.

Yes and no, there range or at least what Cutwell offers of it seams to increase every year. Like Sami i rate em highly, very good company to deal with a prices that will hopefully nearly drive MSC of our little island!

FYI - IME, I've had no problems with the company Cutwel.

We buy quite frequently from Cutwel too, decent outfit. My only complaint with them is that ending up with items on backorder is more frequent than with some of our other vendors, and no warning that they weren't in stock at time of order. I order time critical items elsewhere.

I have expensive taste, but for Metric tools: Fraisa, Emuge, Guhring They all make nice 3 flute Aluminum specific tools.

I have expensive taste, but for Metric tools: Fraisa, Emuge, Guhring They all make nice 3 flute Aluminum specific tools.

How do the Emuge aluminium cutters hold up in your experience? I bought over some stock from a guy that closed his place down and in between were a few 12mm aluminium specific Emuge 3 fluters. I cannot remember the exact code on them, it was about 6 months ago, but I switched them in to replace a YG that I normally use and was not very impressed. I am sure that they are pricier than the YG's by quite some bit?

Looks like everyone understood what you meant in your thread title, mills for cutting aluminum. The idea of an end mill made of aluminum struck my funny bone.

Back