What's new
What's new

Another CAMSOFT journey, but with a different ending

SShep71

Hot Rolled
All,
In the preservation of the good spirit that people out there still have for metal working both as a hobby and a career, I have decided to post my story about my dealings with Camsoft. This is however, not a horror story as I have read on soo many forums. This is more a "warning" to those out there thinking about going with Camsoft as a source for CNC control software. The following is based on my ACTUAL dealings with Camsoft employees, reflects my opinion, and is my recount of the interactions to date. I recently contacted the personnel at Camsoft in June 2015 to discuss their software, and the applicability of their software to the two CNC machines I have that need attention. One a Ecoca lathe, the other a knee mill with Anilam Crusader II controls. It was a typical phone call to a company with the expected sales pitch, this one being more so a sales “push” than anything else. The man I spoke to (whom I will not name at this time) promised everything that a person in my situation would love to hear, condemned all the other retrofit systems, and proclaimed that in his 30 or so years in the business he had seen “100s if not 1000s” of my application be successful retrofits with Camsoft software. He went on to tell me that his software was on countless machines, and that his staff had almost written an actual book on the installation on, and specifics for my machine. He made many claims and promises, he quoted me a price on a system for several thousand dollars. I let him know that I was interested in two, possibly three systems. The discount for the second was 75% off, and the third was even more. It was when I revealed that I am somewhat local to Camsoft’s listed address, that there was a pause. I told him that I was local and I would like to see the software function. He hesitantly invited me to come up and take a look at his product, and the amount involved in making it work. I told the man that I would hold him to that at a later time, to which he agreed.
During the immediate time following, a few emails were exchanged related to my machine specifics, and if the software will work. Still, I had more questions, and needed more information. I never agreed to purchase anything due to the fact that in the weeks following my inquiry I had started a more in depth search for information related to Camsoft. I found many MANY negative remarks from customers and even less impressive remarks to those customers from the people at Camsoft. Taking everything in with the “it’s the internet, some people are just full of rainbows and sunshine” I decided that on a Wednesday at 1pm, to go up to the address listed “32295 Mission Trail # 8, Lake Elsinore, CA 92530”, I brought a friend who happens to be an experienced computer programmer so he can help with the educational aspect of the process. I drove up to the location listed and I could not find any storefront for Camsoft as I had been told existed. The unit listed (#8) is actually the location of a postal Annex. I verified the address with the postal annex personnel, and then called Camsoft. A young girl answered the phone, and the question dodging began. I asked for her to confirm the location of their store and I was told “I’ll be right back” a few min went by and she told me she would just email me a demo. I told her that the man I had spoken with told me to come up to check out the software, again “I’ll be right back”, minutes later she told me the man I had spoken with was on vacation and she would email me a demo. I asked again for her to confirm the address, she dodged the question referring me to email again. I left it at that and just decided to drive back south and leave it for another day. I still at this point was seriously considering buying the two systems, and had even expressed that to the girl on the phone. Since that first visit, I have called a few times to try to get a hold of the man I had spoken to and I get a new excuse every time followed by “just send an email and he will respond”. Today 28July2015, I was driving by the listed location again, so I drove over to the LISTED address to verify AGAIN that I had the right place. I found the same circumstances as last time, and tried to call to get a hold of the original man. When I identified myself to the girl on the phone, she put me on hold and came back with the standard “he said just to email him so he can avoid any conflicts”. At this point I told her to forget it.

It has become obvious (to me) that Camsoft, although at one time may have had its glory, is now cloak and dagger. Being run from an alleged store front to which the listed address is actually a Postal Annex, is staffed by personnel who by my account do their best to dodge consumers, and the inevitable truth. That the company barely exists and there are not many out there with good results (not that I can find an abundance of anyway) to support the product. Shame on you Camsoft, and encompassed employees for allegedly defrauding those whom you have taken large sums of money from, only to fail to stand behind the software you sold. Shame on you for attempting to take my money in excess of five thousand dollars, with no intent to deliver on what you promised. Shame on you for even having the gall to still have a fictitious storefront, and worst shame on you for further bringing decline to a hobby, a passion, a career that so many have taken up, only for you to drag down. As based on previous “Camsoft” posts I can only expect comical responses from your staff, to which I would love to debate this . . . . at your storefront. . . . AKA physical location. . . .If one even exists. My money, however, will stay in my bank account and never make it to yours. There are other options out there, and even though your staff described other products in what can only be described as "smash mouth school yard trash talking" I will look into them. As for those of you that are STILL considering Camsoft, well, to each his own and I wish you better luck than a .5 second google search will reveal.

That aspect of whether or not they had a storefront never even occurred to me, years ago when I did my retrofit. I still don't think it would matter that much to me, so long as they answer my questions and provide the needed tech support, which they always did. My beef was that the system arrived only 'half thought out' and it seemed disappointing to me that I had to invent so many solutions for my project.

You'd be further ahead to request an interview with someone who has done one of their retrofits, and can show you their machine and how it all works.

Back