What's new
What's new

Antique Chekko or Soag lathe

p murphy

Plastic
Just noticed there is only 1v set of photos on the net of a Chekko/Soag metal lathe.
I have this machine for 40 years and it was an antique when I bought it.Just lately resprayed it I have decided to let others have a look at how it turned out.DSCF2083.jpgDSCF2084.jpgDSCF2085.jpgDSCF2088.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2082.jpg
    DSCF2082.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 502
Whats it like to work on and does it hold size and cuts.I like the look of it must have been happy when it joined you 40yrs ago,Think you will be told you should have posted in the Antique machinery and history but you,ve just joined so you wont know this

It runs just ok. I only do hobby jobs on it as I had access to the lathe at work.
It was short on accessories and tools plus I had to do some repairs.
I bought a wee Harrison a few years back and I need to convert it to 1 phase and respray it. I retire soon so these are on the bucket list(sad or what).
I do be looking for pics of this lathe but never cold find any.
Thanks for the interest.

I have a 1948 British machine tool catalogue with an advert for Soag Machine Tools Ltd., London. Unfortunately their advert says nothing helpful! However, elsewhere in the catalogue they are listed as importers/agents for the following brands:

Progres lathes, made in Belgium.
Gilly horizontal boring, drilling, milling machines, made by Forges de Gilly, Belgium.

I am guessing from this and other bits I have found that this company were agents, not manufacturers. Lathes.co.uk mentions them under "Hogarth" and "Accura" lathes and also "Simplex" lathes as being sellers, probably getting their choice of name put on the castings.

I see there is a Soag company still existing in the UK, they say they have many years experience supplying, repairing etc. machine tools.
CNC Machine Tools | Aerospace, Automotive, Medical - SOAG

That lever to the right of the Norton gearbox looks unusual, as does the lever below in the base casting. Features like this may help to narrow down the maker (or it might be Simplex USA).

Back