What's new
What's new

Any suggestions for 1/2" shank lathe parting tool holder?

Abeship

Hot Rolled
Before I pick up this one from shars I figured I would ask you all here first. For my smaller machine I am looking for a 1/2" shank lathe parting tool holder. Looking for something with replaceable carbide inserts (that are source-able) rather than grinding my own from HSS...

19R 8-25 Screw Clamp Deep Grooving and Cut-off Holder - Cut Off And Grooving Tools - Indexable Cutting - Products

I figured iscar, dorian, or similar should have something but I haven't been able to find it on their sites just yet.

Before I pick up this one from shars I figured I would ask you all here first. For my smaller machine I am looking for a 1/2" shank lathe parting tool holder. Looking for something with replaceable carbide inserts (that are source-able) rather than grinding my own from HSS...

19R 8-25 Screw Clamp Deep Grooving and Cut-off Holder - Cut Off And Grooving Tools - Indexable Cutting - Products

I figured iscar, dorian, or similar should have something but I haven't been able to find it on their sites just yet.

1/2" shank? This machine sit on a table? Must be a itty-bitty one? My uneducated guess is that those companies build tools for industrial machines might be why you can't find anything? I can say if I've seen a lathe with half inch holders.

Price looks good but if it was me I'd get a good one 3/4" sank and make it fit. Might save aggregation in the long run?

Brent

Be sure your smaller lathe will handle .100 wide cut. you might try that with notching down a tool bit.
Also at depth .79 it is perhaps intended for a 1 1/2 part diameter.
Name brand may have better materials and heat treat.

Thanks for the info fellows. Swiss tooling sounds reasonable to me, I'll look into cutter width etc. Even though it is a smaller machine, it has ball screws and some heftier steppers so the wider parting tool may work out

If it is a gang tool machine with 1/2 centerline look at Engineered Tooling or Maxbar for cutting off to 3/4 inch. We use an empire blade holder for larger bars with P type blades Designed for CHNC1s I think.

You can grind a tool bit to have a .100 flat nose and just a little bit of straight side with a little back taper and try to part perhaps only 1/16 th deep on a 1" diameter part held close to head stock (little sticking out). That will tell much about what your lathe may handle. Sometimes a little positive rake can help perhaps 5* after you find a zero rake chatters.

MACHINE SHOP TIPS #35 Part 1 Parting on the Lathe tubalcain - YouTube

For itty bitty parting I love Iscar's Pentacut line.

ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - PCHR/L-24 : 231622 - PCHR 12-24

Or the 34 series if you need more than half an inch, or the IQ series if you need more than that. PentaIQ won't survive the insert breaking, though, and you can't push it as hard or do as many things with it. With the right insert pentacut will part, groove, turn or thread.

It's interesting to get some feedback on that style of tool/holder in the link.

Just looking at the holder one plus would be that it appears you could loose damn near the whole end off the cutting tip doing the cutting without screwing up the pocket witch IMO sucks about most of the other cutoff styles holders.

That makes me wonder if you do bust one of the tips off will the insert seat properly in the pocket when rotated?

What I mean is is it like a top notch insert if you bust a tip off it sometimes takes locating surface off for the other end also then you have to pitch it without getting to use to other tip.

Just thinking out loud I guess...

Brent

Just looking at the holder one plus would be that it appears you could loose damn near the whole end off the cutting tip doing the cutting without screwing up the pocket witch IMO sucks about most of the other cutoff styles holders.

That makes me wonder if you do bust one of the tips off will the insert seat properly in the pocket when rotated?

What I mean is is it like a top notch insert if you bust a tip off it sometimes takes locating surface off for the other end also then you have to pitch it without getting to use to other tip.

Just thinking out loud I guess...

Brent

One of the biggest selling points on this tool is that you can break an edge off the inert and still use all the others. The pocket remains unharmed, unless you ram the actual body into the part.

I couldn't say about breaking every edge except the last off, but I've lost three out of five with no issues at all when rotating. You shouldn't ever ram the actual body into the part - they just don't go that deep. If you're doing long bar fed runs and have ever come back to find a standard parting tool holder with a half moon gone from it...

Will you consider cbn inserts replace carbide inserts ? check the link http://www.halnntools.com/ first

If you're going to continue to Spam as a method of promoting your product, you at least need to learn something about the Tool Material you're selling, rather than show your ignorance. CBN is not merely a replacement for Carbide; it has a niche application, that being, machining hardened material and heavy Interrupted cuts.

The OP makes reference to currently using HSS and "For my smaller machine I am looking for a 1/2" shank lathe". The OP can't be machining Hard Material, when making reference to HSS as a cutting tool material and its unlikely his "Smaller Machine" is going to handle Heavy Interrupted Cuts. Accordingly, the criteria for using CBN has not been met.

When I see comments such as yours, it immediately steers me towards another supplier, as I'm sure I wouldn't get the technical support from you.

Mitsubishi GY series I like alot, and the edge of the insert is truly at "zero" or the edge of the holder (obviously the blade is relieved), very stable and reliable inserts, with different geometries available to allow for cutoff, grooving,and turning.

Back