What's new
What's new

CNC Milling - Manual and CNC

NX - CAM

Plastic
What are the best machine options for 3 axis CNC milling machine and manual mode ?
I was looking at Southwestern FHM7 and SX5P.
I saw also XYZ but they are not in US

What are the best machine options for 3 axis CNC milling machine and manual mode ?
I was looking at Southwestern FHM7 and SX5P.
I saw also XYZ but they are not in US

What are you trying to do? The shop I work in has both a SX5P, and a FHM7. We also recently bought a VF2, and I can tell you, 95% of the time I run the Haas. It's better in nearly every way, and just as easy to use. The SX5P is a little faster and easier to drill a single hole, or something, because it has a manual quill, but both those machines have electronic handwheels, so you won't get any feedback.

The only time I use the FHM7 is when I need the travel. If I remember right, they aren't exactly cheap either. They mostly get used by a few older guys, near retirement, that use the control like a fancy DRO. I can honestly say, if I had to run a Prototrak every day again I would find another job.

Not only ProtoTRAK, this one I was able to search/find it, I just want to know a few best milling machines now, CNC 3 axis and manual.

You can do CNC and Manual work with anything with a handwheel. How useful any particular machine is at each task depends on what you're trying to do.

It's like you're asking "what is the best car and truck"? A texas cadillac F350 is a great truck and an okay car, unless you need to park it anywhere or drive in a city. A Subaru Baja is a good car and technically has a bed. My Honda Ridgeline is a great car and a surprisingly capable truck, but it won't tow for anything and it's not gonna win a beauty pageant.

If you want the best, have Hermle retrofit some handwheels onto something for a million bucks. Otherwise, we're gonna need some parameters or use cases to help you.

I found Southwestern Industries, like SX5P, and FHM7 with manual and CNC.
I would like to compare them with others...

You realize these are industrial machines right?

Relative terms. They may fit your idea of "industrial machines". I've looked SWI's stuff at IMTS and would say that without an enclosure, no tool changer, and a whopping 250IPM rapid they are not my idea of "industrial machines". If one was given to me, I'd maybe add it to my home shop. Pay money for one? Never.

Not much ever gets posted on this forum about machines like this. That's why I advised the guy to maybe check some other forums.

Relative terms. They may fit your idea of "industrial machines". I've looked SWI's stuff at IMTS and would say that without an enclosure, no tool changer, and a whopping 250IPM rapid they are not my idea of "industrial machines". If one was given to me, I'd maybe add it to my home shop. Pay money for one? Never.

Not much ever gets posted on this forum about machines like this. That's why I advised the guy to maybe check some other forums.

I completely agree, I've spent about 10 years making repair parts for the aircraft industry on a 1997 Prototrak. Getting ahold of a VF2 changed my life. Not even close to the same thing. A Prototrak is ok, if you don't care how long it takes,or what your part looks like when you're done.

People on here talk a lot of shit about Haas, but there really isn't any comparison to a Prototrak. It actually makes me sick to think of what I was missing all those years.

It really depends upon what you want to do. The whole CNC v Manual/CNC has been bashed over the years, and personally speaking the prototraks earnt me a lot of money.
But so did the fanuc mills and the siemens lathes...

The mill I had was effectively a Bridgeport BRJ with a 2axis (SMX) control on the table and it was superb for tooling and second opping. If you want to put a hole in at an angle, flip the head over. Do that on a VMC...

The lathe was superb too - small batch or second opping again but we had 15 tool holders with all tools left set. So fast to use...

But to answer your question - Siemens maybe a good option for you. It has shopmill/shopturn which makes fanucs manual guide look like the 1800's and I personally think the shopturn is easier to use than mazatrol.
You can also run off cam so both options available

Yeah, you're right, I forgot about tilting the head, also hanging tall parts off the edge of the table. I would never say Prototraks can't be used to make things. I've made probably 500 737 midflap ribs on a Prototrak, a real old shitty one too, that wouldn't do a full 3 axis move unless you were running DNC.

I've also made hundreds of 737 nose landing gear steering collar bushings on a Prototrak lathe and machined axial grease grooves that begin and end inside the part using a Prototrack mill with a Haas indexer, and the head tilted 30 degrees.

I will say that a Haas VF2 is a better way to do almost anything. With cheap CAM software around, I think conversational programming, at least in mills, for anything but the simplest jobs just doesn't make sense.

Back