What's new

CNC machine delivery in the cold

• Thread starter FK
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 5,926

FK

Aluminum
We all love the exciting day getting a new machine. However, with the recent SE WI cold of -15F, I'm a bit worried. Anyone with any bad experiences or troubles related to the cold? I know to let it come to temp for a few days before power up for condensation. What about the electronics being bounced on the truck for 4K miles at 15 below?

It is here but not being brought in until tomorrow because no one wants to work in this cold. It will be above zero tomorrow.

I read other "new machine day" threads, so not to keep anyone in suspense, it is a Hwacheon 7050 VMC. 30" x 60"; 50 taper, Two 90 degree heads and a rotary table, Fanuc Oi MD.

look at the bright side, at least you won't have to worry about getting stuck in mud...... be like driving on steel plate outside on dry ground... but if you have ice in the unload zone get 3 metric tons of kitty litter and spread it all over.

We just sold a machine to someone and they came to move it when the temperature was -38 degrees Celsius. They then let it sit in an unheated warehouse for 2 days. They started it up right away when they got it and the control didn't work and they wondered why, lol. I would definitely let it sit for awhile before doing anything.

I will definitely be letting it sit. They will be doing the install Monday (leveling, coolant tank hook up, etc). So no turning on until then.

I opted for the 8k spindle rather than 12 or 15. Saved the money for the probe and 90 heads.

Riggers should be here shortly!

I will definitely be letting it sit. They will be doing the install Monday (leveling, coolant tank hook up, etc). So no turning on until then.

I opted for the 8k spindle rather than 12 or 15. Saved the money for the probe and 90 heads.

Riggers should be here shortly!

I agree . . . with a machine that heavy duty I would forgo the high rpm too.

My take on it. I'd get the machine inside and keep some fans blowing on it. The fans should help to dry up the condensation quickly as it forms. Fortunately with this weather it's probably pretty dry in the shop anyways. I'd also leave the electrical cabinets closed the air inside the cabinets is likely bone dry no reason to circulate moist air into it. That's what I'd do in my shop anyways. Congrats on the new machine!

I was thinking fans as well. Wasn't sure if that would blow moist air on it or help dry it faster. Even though it is winter, it is still moist (coolant) air in the shop. Our humidity gauge is reading 18. I think I do like the closed door policy. I think I'm over thinking/worrying like all of us weirdos.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 433
Congratulations on the new machine!

Gotta feel for the riggers though on a day like that. We moved the end of November and it was only rainy in the upper 30's.

That was cold enough!! Could not imagine having to do all that in those temps you describe! :eek:

Best Regards,
Russ

I was thinking fans as well. Wasn't sure if that would blow moist air on it or help dry it faster.
I agree not sure what would be best either but my WAG would be to use a fan.

Seeing as this is a new machine what does the dealer say? If they are on the hook for commissioning the machine I think I would let them decide.

Open the doors to allow the internals to warm up along with the rest of the machine. Moisture migrates thru air at warp speed to reach equilibrium so keeping the doors closed won't accomplish anything unless they're hermetically sealed. You'll have a greater likelihood of condensation by leaving them closed and causing the interior to stay cold longer.

Open the doors to allow the internals to warm up along with the rest of the machine. Moisture migrates thru air at warp speed to reach equilibrium so keeping the doors closed won't accomplish anything unless they're hermetically sealed. You'll have a greater likelihood of condensation by leaving them closed and causing the interior to stay cold longer.

Sounds convincing to me.

It's in. Heard the floor crack a couple times under the forklift tires. 10" floors but too much weight in a concentrated area (corners of slabs under truck tires). No cracks where it sits though.

Instant ice build up on the thick metal. The controller pendant did not ice up. Waiting to hear from the dealer about opening or fanning. You can see in the one picture, I rubbed my finger on the table and seen a good layer of cosmo under the ice so we should be good rust wise. I guess we will see.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 457
This time, I just ordered it. The last couple machines were very close to each other (Doosan, Wia,). I needed a machine with certain features for a certain amount of money. They were able to do it so I said o.k. No messing around. I like their product. We all know you get what you pay for. My experience with Hwacheon is you get closer to the high side for what you pay for. We have their trunnion five axis and it was very pricey. Turns out, it is my favorite trunnion five axis I've worked on (19 years).

Back