What's new
What's new

Anybody here have an HTC-400? Bringing one back from the dead...

Parkerbender

Stainless
I may make this a rebuild thread, because I have plans for this guy... (Black Zak 2.0, if any of you have seen Phil's Ver. 1...) Anyway.

Two things.

Firstly, got this from a dealer out east who doesn't do cnc things (he says) It appears to be missing its transformer. It has a big cable coming off the front throw-off switch with six power leads, one ground, and six little low-voltge leads. I can only assume that goes to something putting out... 400? Does anybody know the voltage and kva of that guy, and if I can go one step further what the low voltage wires do?

Secondly, while hauling the big dumb thing over the mountains and through the woods from northeast PA to southwest MO I lost something that was the size of my forearm or so, looked kindof like a bracket that was grey with a black canisterish thing like a pop can, threw sparks when it hit the ground, cant see where it is missing from, and couldn't go back to look for it because it is in the middle of a twelve lane exchange in Indiannapolis...

I cant imagine anyone will have any idea what that might be now, but later if something is acting weird, maybe someone will have an idea of what that might have been... Just saw it in the left rear view mirror (back side of the machine) while going over a bunch of jeezeless bumps in that cobblestone interstate.

Pics to follow momentarily, I may snap a few even before I touch it with windex, just because...

-Parker

I guess it came from PCC Composites in Pittsburgh, if anyone knows this machine...

Last edited:
Nope, Moved from Lincoln, Ne to Springfield, Mo about a year ago or so. Though, my friend Mikah Barnett used to live out in Gallatin! Maybe he talks about me a lot! ha.

Anyone know how to get ahold of Tom3197? I guess he has a few of these guys, but his inbox is full and he hasn't left a post since early last year... you can PM me so his info isn't out in the wild...

Hi Parker,

Got your PM, I'm going in to work today for a few hours so before I leave I'll take some pictures and find out what I can about the hookup for you.
I'd rather do it here in public though because it would be a good resource in the future for anyone else who may need help with theirs. This place is great for that. Not a ton of info out there on these machines as you may have noticed. I've found Mazak support to be really frustrating so us HTC-400 people really need to stick together.

The transformer was an option on those machines. Ours doesn't have one because the voltage in the building where it was installed was in the tolerance.

We then moved in to a building with a high leg, so the boss bought a transformer so we could get it running, then later the electric company changed our service. I can probably get you a transformer cheap if you need it :) You probably won't need it though...

oops! There is a transformer in there, and probably more in the back for the different voltages. They have an optional one that sits on top which we didn't need. Pictures soon.

Yeah, I just need to know what the magic number needs to be whatfor is going to the box in the back... I would assume it is 400, but beings it is from Kentucky I thought maybe it is 460, or 230, or... yeah. ha.

Thanks a bunch, without some info I am just dead in the water!

I'm a little confused now. Box in the back? When I hooked ours up in the new building, I just ran the 3 wires from our 3 phase 208 service to the main cut off switch in the front of the machine (I had run the wires from our transformer there before that, before our serviced was switched). Pictures of that below.

If your machine had another transformer it may be that optional one I mentioned that we didn't need? I'm not an expert at this, so I can only help you with the parts that are similar to ours.

Here's the photobucket album I made, any pictures I take for you I'll put in here:

Htc-4 by Machine Seventyone | Photobucket

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

That is good to know! I don't have a 200V transformer, but I have a 240-400 and a 480-240... so I guess I have some daisy-chaining to do tomorrow! :D ...or will it run fine on 240 (mine is closer to 230) volts?

That is good to know! I don't have a 200V transformer, but I have a 240-400 and a 480-240... so I guess I have some daisy-chaining to do tomorrow! :D ...or will it run fine on 240 (mine is closer to 230) volts?

I'm thinking it needs 200. 208 is probably fine, but 240 would be out of the tolerance range. I'm going off of memory here, check the data plate on the machine electrical cabinet.

Black Zak 2.0, if any of you have seen Phil's Ver. 1...

I must report Black Zak, a repainted Mazak ST25 ATC/MC I got from Parker back in 2012, became an organ donor last year.

I bought two more Mazaks of the same type (ST30 ATC/MC and a QT10N ATC/MC) but a lot of Black Zak's parts can now be used as spares for both machines. The lack of a tailstock from Black Zak was the reason I got a different machine, but I could not see selling it when I could use the parts as valuable spares for my other 30 year old Mazaks.

I must report Black Zak, a repainted Mazak ST25 ATC/MC I got from Parker back in 2012, became an organ donor last year.

I bought two more Mazaks of the same type (ST30 ATC/MC and a QT10N ATC/MC) but a lot of Black Zak's parts can now be used as spares for both machines. The lack of a tailstock from Black Zak was the reason I got a different machine, but I could not see selling it when I could use the parts as valuable spares for my other 30 year old Mazaks.

OH NO! That is sad, but I guess if Zak had to die so that others could live, then at leats it's honorable. Glad to hear that you are still around, Phil! I still use your lathe care package every week! (half a decade later) I hope things are going great down there in the sand!

OH HEY! What do those lathes eat? 200, 240, 208? I don't remember having... oh yeah! Zak had a big transformer built in. nevermind... ha.

The 460 V label is probably what the transformer was tapped to from the factory. I'm with Tony, the internals want 200 V.

One way to verify machine working voltage is to look at the labels on your drives (right under the goo!)

ToolCat

Got it going tonight on 200-ish (217). Seems to jog around, but got stuck when rotating the pallet, which was just when I noticed the lake growing under the machine. The hydro tank was dry when I got the machine, and it is dry now... assuming that has something to do with why the previous owners dumped it... is the tool clamp hydraulic on these guys, or what else in the head would be hydraulic?

In any case, she lives! The drives wanted 200v and the control wanted a separate 100v (and 0v) from the little red wires that were in the bundle with everything else. The two blue ones are for a transformer overtemp sensor.

Got x, y, spin, and half a pallet index before the pallet clamp sensor got stuck and errored me into purgatory. Update tomorrow, and maybe a picture if I manage to make any progress warranting a picture...

Woo Hoo!
-Parker

Back