What's new
What's new

Anybody using MT Connect? Even better on a Brother.

2outof3

Titanium
I have a new customer who is wanting to use MT Connect to monitor their machine. Is anyone doing this and how is it working. Thank you for the feedback.

We had a machine at the show that had it on an LNS bar feeder for pete's sake. And yes it worked. The machine was monitored and it was also used to control the chip conveyor, mist buster and it also called up programs into the Fanuc control based on the program called up in the bar feeder. This might be an extreme use but it shows some of the possibilities. We were also using it to monitor all of the machines we had at IMTS.

Paul

We had a machine at the show that had it on an LNS bar feeder for pete's sake. And yes it worked. The machine was monitored and it was also used to control the chip conveyor, mist buster and it also called up programs into the Fanuc control based on the program called up in the bar feeder. This might be an extreme use but it shows some of the possibilities. We were also using it to monitor all of the machines we had at IMTS.

Paul

Paul,

Did you work with MT Connect directly or with some other third party? Thanks for your help.

Andy

There is no such thing as MT Connect as it's own entity. MT Connect is a protocol, open source idea base. Many vendors are doing this now and finding a compitent one is the problem. We use Tech Solve in our showroom for machine monitoring. LNS has their own engineers who put together the show demo for us and it was tied into our monitoring setup that monitored all of the machines at the show.

Personally, I would not want MT Connect as a per machine scenario running the whole shop because if it goes down, the whole plant goes down. MT Connect has to be implemented from the top down to realize it's usefulness. While an individual machine or cell could do what I described in my first post, it should only be a rung on the ladder, not the ladder itself.

Paul

We're currently implementing Memex's Merlin software which communicates via MT Connect with our Okuma machines. We also monitor some other machines but I believe they required alternative hardware. Our Okuma machines are the only ones that I /know/ have MTConnect capabilities.

Right now all I can do as an end-user is monitor current machine status. I can see whether it's in single-block mode, in-cycle, alarm, idle, etc, and the duration it's been in it's current state.

Plans are continuing towards much more expansive monitoring and communication (both ways) between operators and managers. There's some things we're playing with to integrate into the OSP controllers to add additional tools for machinists.

ETA: Fixed my swap in names.

We are also using Merlin, but for the Brother they need an add-on card to get signals out because it isn't supported by the control as far as I know. (It could be, if Brother would add the protocol to the control - and if they do, it needs to be on a different port than the TCP programming or the interface ports - I'm using both right now and Merlin would need to be a 3rd connection to the machine.)

Hi Andy, I worked with LNS on these solutions. It's been several months since you posted this, but please reach out to me if bi-directional communication is something you'd like to talk about setting up. I've set up working prototypes with LNS for Doosan, Okuma and Mazak lathes. It has been freelance/side-work for me, but I'm looking to branch out with more customers. Hit me up if you want to chat.

Joe

Have connected a number of Mazaks that are using MT connect protocol to connect to Cimco MDC-Max for monitoring.
Hard to see all OEM's implementing MT connect on there machines, Fanuc already has Focas, Heidenhain has option 18, If you use a NETLink pro you can monitor Siemens 840D

You can get third party, off-the-shelf MTConnect support for Brother from CNC Data, Ltd. (UK). MT Connect Brother Adapter. I don't know how long that's been available or the extent to which UK support for a California install would make any sense.

I have heard from multiple sources that many US shop floor monitoring companies can support Brother, but I can't find any public references or advertising to support these claims.

You can get third party, off-the-shelf MTConnect support for Brother from CNC Data, Ltd. (UK). MT Connect Brother Adapter. I don't know how long that's been available or the extent to which UK support for a California install would make any sense.

I have heard from multiple sources that many US shop floor monitoring companies can support Brother, but I can't find any public references or advertising to support these claims.

I talked to the guys at CNC Data and they have a good solution for MT Connect for the Brother control. Also, Factory Wiz showed us a great interface at our Annual Meeting last month.

FactoryWiz Monitoring - Introduction and Features

You might look at Scytec DataXchange. It can do a lot and seems like it has good support but personally I don't care for their subscription based fee.

I work for FactoryWiz Monitoring and DNC. Last year we worked directly with Brother USA in Schaumburg, IL and have developed an MTConnect Adapter for Brother B00 and C00 series controls. The adapter can be purchased through Yamazen, the official Brother distributor.

Our FactoryWiz Monitoring software has a NATIVE connection to Brother machines and does not require the MTConnect adapter. If using a competitive monitoring system, then please contact Yamazen and they will provide the Adapter.

Have connected a number of Mazaks that are using MT connect protocol to connect to Cimco MDC-Max for monitoring.
Hard to see all OEM's implementing MT connect on there machines, Fanuc already has Focas, Heidenhain has option 18, If you use a NETLink pro you can monitor Siemens 840D

Hey, so wondering if you can help me out. I am also using CIMCO for monitoring. This is a new implantation. I have some Mazaks that do not have Windows on the controller, so I am having to install MTConnect on a remote computer. I have installed agent and I can get it to talk to controller. I can telnet and get data and I can do web browser "localhost:5000/current" and get the machine data.
However, I can not get it to work with CIMCO now. I have in the setup to use remote agent, I have port 5000 selected. I think the issue is the "Machine name" field. I have edited the "name" field in the MTConnect xml file and used that for the CIMCO settings. When CIMCO tries to talk the log on MTConnect says something to the effect of "can not get machine routing". I am thinking that this is not to place to pull the name from, or I am missing something else.

Any help would be great!

Back