What's new
What's new

Brother M140X1 As a Prototype/Low Volume Machine

gkoenig

Titanium
So, in an earlier thread, folks were talking about prototype/low volume production. This is something that I've been feeling out for a few months. I have a business that currently outsources about $15k in machined parts a month, as well as a need to prototype new product ideas (and, confession, make useless personal side projects).

We do a relatively high-mix of parts; prismatic milled parts that sing on a 4th axis, mill-turn parts and some basic 2 op mill parts. If I look at what we're making now, I realize that I would need not only a mill, but I would also absolutely need a CNC lathe and a rotary table on the mill. This adds up to shop space, machines to babysit, multiple operations to make a part... a lot of complexity.

Than Brother shows up with the M140X1 - a 3+2 machine (actually, 4+1 reading the specs) that's compact and has a 2000 rpm B axis that is capable of lathe turning.

Product Page here:
Brother International - Machine Tools

Crazy Video Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVS22ZbqmE

Anyone have one of these bad boys? What am I missing that says this wouldn't be a great machine for prototyping?

IIRC; the base pricing is around $135k. Expensive, but when I price out a Robodrill or Brother 3 axis + rotary table + a basic CNC lathe + lathe and mill tooling + floor space + babysitting two machines... the $135k starts to look like a bit of a bargain.

It could be great depending on the parts you're making. It's not like that machine is a compromise free solution for going without a mill and a lathe.

I haven't used that machine, but can say I really like our Brother TC-S2D. Our dealer Yamazeen has been excellent.

I wouldn't . Not enough tools for prototyping . Not even close. I do a lot of 5 axis prototyping and 30 tools is barely enough 90% of the time. I can only imagine adding turning tools into the mix.

I would look into something like the mikron 3+2 machine but thats going to be around 200k.

The brother 5 axis is a production machine where you can use form tools, combo tools etc.

The M140 has 27 tool magazine. I have (3) M140X1's that just arrived a week or so ago. Still don't have power to them, nor do I have fixtures for them so other than what I played with one after-hours and before-hours at the show in Greenville, SC last year no real data to convey on the machining side of them. If they live up to what the S2C/Dn/R2B's that I have had in production for several years, they will be solid machines.

Dstryr, why so many tools? Is it because you're trying to work on 5 sides of a part, and accommodating features on all 5 sides?
Yes.

1 threaded hole = 2 tools automatically
1 reamed hole = 2 more tools
1 precision bore = 3 tools ( 1 rough, 1 semi , 1 finish)

Nothing sucks more than running out of tools....especially prototyping.

Shoot My Prototrak will do that :) If you are thinking of adding a machine or two and keeping your work in house, think hard. There is so much more to it than just going out and buying a lathe and mill. You are talking about setting up and entire shop that can do CNC milling and turning within a particular size range. Tools and hand tools, taps, drills, vises, collets, inspection equipment, A CMM ? Mic's, calipers, coolant, air compressor, air dryer, this list is long. How and who will program, set up and run your parts. Good software is not cheep. One guy could probably handle the work but he has to be the best and be willing to bust his ass everyday. What will he cost along with the additional tax and insurance burden. I'm sure you have thought about all this but what is the driver ? If it's cost and you are only sending out $15K each month the payback will be measured over several years. If it is about control and current lead times are hurting you I could see the need. If you have deep pockets and just want to add a shop that's great, it will be an adventure and a lot of fun. I have seen some small companies decide to add a shop and keep it all in house fall flat and lose tons of money trying.

Ron

I wouldn't . Not enough tools for prototyping . Not even close. I do a lot of 5 axis prototyping and 30 tools is barely enough 90% of the time. I can only imagine adding turning tools into the mix.

I would look into something like the mikron 3+2 machine but thats going to be around 200k.

The brother 5 axis is a production machine where you can use form tools, combo tools etc.

Couldn't you just swap out tools depending on the part?

Looks like an awesome machine for the right parts. For the same price as a mill/turn, you could get three of these Brothers and a robot as long as you don't need full 5th, sub spindle, etc.

But the limitations in work envelope, workpiece weight, and turning RPM may be overly restricting in a prototyping environment.

Couldn't you just swap out tools depending on the part?

You could do a lot of things...its just a PITA. lol. Its not like you can swap tools out very quickly and then you have to worry about adjustments and everything.

That brother is a production machine. This is just IMHO too. If it was up to me I'd get glass scales knowing what I know now about 5 axis...

I think setup is the killer on the Brother. It's weird to load the tools, it's weird to set the offsets. The control takes some getting used to.

Also, it's tight quarters in there. It's nice to have some room to stretch out for prototypes. Many times you need some odd ball long tool or you need room for some shady fixturing.

Yes.

Love parts with every imaginable threaded hole size, including helicoils.. Thank FSM for thread mills and helical interpolation.

I don't know what your parts look like, but a few thoughts:

I got a new 3 axis S700X1 last week. Just got power to it today. It is scary fast, but I'm not sure that even the three axis would make a spectacular prototype machine.

First, the Brothers don't have a ton of Z axis travel. That's intentional: they're dedicated high production machines. The less Z they have to travel, the faster they can be. But still, you only get twelve inches. You have to plan out your tool magazine pretty carefully.

The mill turn really only has about a six inch cube useful working area. If you're making an alternator, or a motor housing, or similar, that's plenty. But I can't imagine having my ONLY CNC have that small a work envelope.

Also, the brothers are a pretty expensive machine. There are reasons for that. The reasons that I turned up in my research are:

Really fast acceleration.
Really fast tool change.
Accurate at high speed.
Built like tanks, designed for 24/7/365 production.
Built in PLC. Easy automation.

None of that is really applicable to a prototyping situation.

None of that is really applicable to a prototyping situation.
Adding to that, you have no versatility in what you mount to the work spindle. You would be hard pressed to fit a vice for instance. If you are using the turning function, what ever work holding you use has to be balanced. Fantastic dedicated production machine, but no flexibility for proto type work.

Regards Phil.

I'll agree with the guys on this one. This particular machine (M140X1) is designed for high volume production, which is what I will be using them for. It is near perfect for what I need to do 24/7/365. I also agree that it is limited as far as prototyping goes, unless everything you do is less than 6x6 or are round bits with milled features.

Yes.

circular interpolation is your friend

hell you can interpolate tap drill holes if you run out of tools

I, too, looked at getting a M140X for prototyping and production, hoping to avoid having a VMC and a lathe. However nice the M140X is, it isn't a great machine for prototyping, as space for tooling is very limited on the 5.5" circular table. Instead, I'll probably end up with a Brother TC-S2DN (base price $75k) with a 4th axis and a 2-axis lathe like a Takisawa TCN-203J or Okuma Genos L250 (base price $68k). Much higher flexibility and I can run two parts at once.

circular interpolation is your friend

hell you can interpolate tap drill holes if you run out of tools

Yeah thats all fine and dandy..... I didn't say it couldn't be done...it just sucks. Why would you want to buy a machine knowing "well shit I can always just helix out .125, .149, etc holes for all my taps if I run into that problem (which you will).

From my understanding this thing was designed for guys who had the same few parts they know they want to run for the next 3 years or so... like tier 1 automotive manufactures. Note the alternator-cap looking part in the video. And, I have not seen is this machine in particular supports true full 5 axis (think profiling)

That being said I have seen a place with one of these prototyping propeller hub lookin-parts. How many other mills are out there that have integrated turning? Plus, a conventional VMC build with a trunnion on the table (built in or not) still yeilds a pretty small usable work cube from a larger footprint machine.

Back