What's new
What's new

Emcoturn 320 info

rocketbob

Plastic
Howdy folks.

Last week I bought a Emcoturn 320 that has not been under power and so it was priced accordingly. It was actually a bargain.

Since it has sat for a couple of years I imagine the batteries in the Fanuc OT control are dead, and so I imagine the machines default parameters are lost.

Does anyone here happen to have the floppy disk with the default parameters, or know how I can load them? The schematics that came with the machine are nearly useless...are there any better ones available?

Regards,
Bob

Hey Bob,

Get her under power and see what ya got. You may get lucky, but if not, call Steve at Emco 614-771-5991. There is a procedure for recomissioning the machine and he will be able to get it to you.

If you have problems, post up or PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Dave

If it an OTC, I may also have the parameters on hand or readily available.

CNC mek is a great resource and my 320 is just great!!

I found a sheet of paper in the control door with the default parameters. Its in German, so will have to do some translating to figure it out.

After studying the schematic, it looks like if I bypass the "feeder" transformer I will be able to run it on 220 3ph.

Can you guys tell me what kind of tooling the turret accepts? The machine came with only four stations having the round toolholder with the two setscrews, and nothing else.

Regards,
Bob

A local outfit used to put stickers on their dead pile (unverified) stuff that read "Guaranteed not to work, if it does you can bring it back for one that doesn't".

I purchased a Hardinge CHNC-1 off ebay several years ago which would have beared the above sticker proudly.

You, my friend, have purchased a machine which may have the same sticker. I always feel that people should consider any unverified purchases like that. If you can buy it and get your money from the scrap or surplus price, then you've done well.

In my case the machine turned out to be a good machine with wrong owner syndrome. I thought EMCO used only Siemens controls on their machines!?

In my case the machine turned out to be a good machine with wrong owner syndrome. I thought EMCO used only Siemens controls on their machines!?

Hi Perry,
Emco has used Fanuc controls for quite a while, just not near as many as the Siemens. I know as far back as the O-TB and mabye even the A, not for sure on that.

Bob, the OD tool holders are still availible from Emco, I'm sure what they are called but they have 2 M6 socket head capscrews that come in at an angle to bolt it into the turret tool slot. Sorry to be so vague, I fix them not drive them :D.

Hi Guys,

I got the machine under power last night. As I expected, I got an alarm message I assume due to lost parameters:

417 Servo Alarm: X Axis Dgtl Param
427 Servo Alarm: X Axis Dgtl Param

So it needs to be commissioned. I did install new batteries and saved a parameter and it did come back correctly after a restart of the machine. The machine came with one sheet with some parameters on it (F01, F02, etc.) but am not sure what they are. I think there are many parameters that need to be configured for the both axes (step, direction, etc.). I left a voicemail with Steve, but haven't heard back from him yet.

I also noticed that the board driving both axes had some LEDs light up but nothing came up on the AC spindle drive. I assume it doesn't get powered up unless its configured, and the alarms are cleared for the servo drives...?

Regards,
Bob

Well I finally made some chips this week. Thanks to Dave I was able to get the original parameters for the machine, and a few weeks ago had it up and running. The only thing wrong with the machine was a loose ribbon cable, which was causing an e-stop alarm once I recommissioned it. Based on the wiring diagram I thought I could wire it up without a 400V transformer, but that turned out not to be the case. So if anyone ever needs any help in recommissioning one of these machines, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hey Bob,

Glad to hear you are making chips. How's that old transformer I found in the back of the warehouse working? Can it handle the spindle ramp OK?

BTW, it was nice to meet you when you picked it up.

Sorry I missed your call a couple weeks ago, I was on the road in Maryland ( on a couple old dead 320s like yours ) Didn't hear the phone at the sports bar :cheers: left you a message the next day though.

If you need anything give me shout. :D

Take care,

Dave

Hi Dave, yep the transformer is working fine. I've run the spindle up to 6500 RPM and stopped it repeatedly. The transformer I got from you says its 17VA, not 5VA.

I still have to work on balancing the phase converter a bit. Two of the legs are running at 365V with the third running at 420V, but everything seems to be working fine.

Hey Bob,
The paper in transformer is not right, it is a 5KVA. The paper does have the correct wiring diagram though. That's why it was left in there. Like I said it was an old one in the back of the warehouse, cheap is ok though, right?

Yep, you want to get the converter balanced better. Your machine will like it better and you will have less headaches down the road. :D

If you need anything let me know.

Take it easy,

Dave

Emco320

Well I finally made some chips this week. Thanks to Dave I was able to get the original parameters for the machine, and a few weeks ago had it up and running. The only thing wrong with the machine was a loose ribbon cable, which was causing an e-stop alarm once I recommissioned it. Based on the wiring diagram I thought I could wire it up without a 400V transformer, but that turned out not to be the case. So if anyone ever needs any help in recommissioning one of these machines, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hi,

I have got a nice Emco320 with Fanuc and can't get it to reference point without tripping some alarm. Have a E120 with Emcotronic controller which works great, used almost daily and I am familiar with the type but the Fanuc book I have is kind of vague and could definitely use some step-by step guidance with my E320. I can share my knowledge, toolholders etc. with you, exchange for some help with my 320. Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply...hold down LQP and the CANcel key while powering up. That should clear your soft limits. This happens if you've rotated any of the axis by hand. Then turn the knob to REF, hit the left and up keys.

Emco 320 with Siemans control

Hi Guys,
Iam new to this forum and cnc so please be patient. I bought a 320 just a
year ago. Still have not powered up. It has a transformer from 440 to 320 v.
I have a small shop with a 10 hp 208v rotary converter. Can this machine be wired for 208v 3 ph? Thanks! Bob Yauger upstate N.Y. (Utica)

Mine is hooked to city 208 3 phase, I will defer to CNCMEK for the details, but with what I have, it seems possible. The machine I have is 320 with a Fanuc OTC control, and it has a transformer attached.

Both of the ones in my shop are hooked to 208V. It should be as simple as wiring the right taps on the transformer. Have you opened the transformer housing and looked inside? There should be a diagram on the side of one of the panels that shows you how to wire it for different input voltges.

Spope and Micro are correct. You should be able to power it with 208. Your transformer should have a diagram on it to show the voltages on the primary/incoming side of the transformer. If you are having trouble figuring out how to wire it up post up some photos of the diagram on the transformer and we should be able to help you out.

Dave

Back