What's new
What's new

Anyone using these shell mills, would like feedback.

195 people looked at this, and not one person is using these mills? I'd sure like to hear if they're decent or not. Anyone?

195 people looked at this, and not one person is using these mills? I'd sure like to hear if they're decent or not. Anyone?

Well Dave, the title is a bit vague.

Maybe : "Feedback Wanted on FMari 45 degree insert shell mills"

Much nicer than my old Glacern versions they replaced.

I run them with Iscar inserts. Perform well with the correct inserts. The 45 geometry is easy on the power in the Brother16K compared to a 90degree Korloy Ripper. In the Okuma560 it just eats no matter what. Mostly use it for stainless in the Okuma.

Well Dave, the title is a bit vague.

Maybe : "Feedback Wanted on FMari 45 degree insert shell mills"

I suppose so. But still, 195 people opened this, and saw the detail inside. I was starting to think that maybe no one ever touched. them. LOL. I'll edit the title. Meanwhile, TrollTuner, thanks for the info. At least now I know it's not going to be a useless purchase.

We have the 2.5 and 3" and use them in 6061 and leaves a good finish, generally just use for simple facing and removing the carrier on 2nd op nothing too aggressive.

Actually it did. I have a couple shell mills, but I had to read the thread to find out which ones are being referred to, so I'm one of those 195.

But in your case, you didn't respond, not because the title was vague, you didn't respond because you weren't using the ones referred to.

I opened it earlier as well. My shell mill is nearly identical but Mitsubishi so no response. I do love the free cutting nature of this style of face mill.

I opened it earlier as well. My shell mill is nearly identical but Mitsubishi so no response. I do love the free cutting nature of this style of face mill.

Ok, I'm hoping the free cutting nature is based upon the style rather than the name brand of these cutters. I think I'm going to give them a try.

Just so I'm clear, I don't want to come off as argumentative. I appreciate all responses. I realize now how I could have put the name brand in the thread title. I'd gladly change it if I could figure out how to edit thread titles.

I was merely responding to the first person who claimed I wasn't getting responses because the thread title was vague. Clearly the real reason is because very few people are using these from Maritool. Sorry if I cause some confusion.

I have a very similar one that exkenna sells on his site and love it for plastics and aluminum. I used it as a drop in replacement for a Seco octomill that ate a fixture bolt running at plastics speed and found the koroloy cutter had more accurate insert pockets than the octomill did. I used to have to shim the octomill to get a acceptable finish. whereas the Koroloy gave a better finish right out of the box. btw exkenna has the inserts that might fit that holder on his site at a great price.

I have a very similar one that exkenna sells on his site and love it for plastics and aluminum. I used it as a drop in replacement for a Seco octomill that ate a fixture bolt running at plastics speed and found the koroloy cutter had more accurate insert pockets than the octomill did. I used to have to shim the octomill to get a acceptable finish. whereas the Koroloy gave a better finish right out of the box. btw exkenna has the inserts that might fit that holder on his site at a great price.

Excellent, I'd like to see what exkenna has. Is there a link in his profile to what he sells?

Excellent, I'd like to see what exkenna has. Is there a link in his profile to what he sells?

FACE MILL

On the 45 degree lead facemills.

A LATHEINSERTS.COM EXCLUSIVE!
ALL 45 DEGREE FACE MILLS COME WITH A FREE 2 YEAR
REPLACEMENT WARRANTY. YES, IT EVEN COVERS
DROPPED TOOLS, CRASHES, AND YOUR OCCASIONAL
ATTEMPT TO MILL A KURT VISE. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
SIMPLY EMAIL ME FOR A RETURN NUMBER, SEND IN
YOUR TOOL, AND RECEIVE A NEW ONE. WARRANTY COVERS
ONE REPLACEMENT CLAIM PER PURCHASE.
(A $12.95 SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGE APPLIES TO REPLACEMENT CUTTERS)

About the only 2 people I buy anything from, Curtis and Maritool.

EDIT: What does Curtis sell.. Just about everything, except for CRAP!! He finds
the small quality brands and sells them at small prices, and it won't be crap.. Unless
you specifically request CRAP.. He's saved me THOUSAND$$$$ of dollars over the
past 8 years or so...

An example that I can actually remember. Had some money to burn and wanted to FILL
the drill cabinet. My better half sat for a few hours and typed in a drill order
to MSC, put it in the cart and was waiting for a 35% off sale (this was a while ago,
it might have been when the J&L site was still up, but MSC prices).

Talked to Curtis in the mean time, and he said he would quote it for me. Curtis was
53% less than MSC's 35% off price. I had to get package qty's, a dozen under a 1/4" and
half dozen from 1/4" to 1/2".. So I got a LOT more drills than I planned on. About
2800 total, for about $2800... Do the math.. At MSC's regular prices at the time,
that would have been $9200. if I did my math right

We have three or four different sizes of Ripper Mills from Curtis and really like the performance and free cutting, my favorite is the three flute 1.5 inch ripper but you better have a fully enclosed machine or a good broom.

FACE MILL

On the 45 degree lead facemills.

About the only 2 people I buy anything from, Curtis and Maritool.

EDIT: What does Curtis sell.. Just about everything, except for CRAP!! He finds
the small quality brands and sells them at small prices, and it won't be crap.. Unless
you specifically request CRAP.. He's saved me THOUSAND$$$$ of dollars over the
past 8 years or so...

An example that I can actually remember. Had some money to burn and wanted to FILL
the drill cabinet. My better half sat for a few hours and typed in a drill order
to MSC, put it in the cart and was waiting for a 35% off sale (this was a while ago,
it might have been when the J&L site was still up, but MSC prices).

Talked to Curtis in the mean time, and he said he would quote it for me. Curtis was
53% less than MSC's 35% off price. I had to get package qty's, a dozen under a 1/4" and
half dozen from 1/4" to 1/2".. So I got a LOT more drills than I planned on. About
2800 total, for about $2800... Do the math.. At MSC's regular prices at the time,
that would have been $9200. if I did my math right

Wow, looking at his site, pricing seems more than fair. Great bargains there. Looks like that's my route. Thanks Bob.

Back