What's new
What's new

Anyone using TinyG controller, alternate suggestions for desktop CNC mill?

Ishman 306

Plastic
I'm retrofitting a 1990's Dyna Mechtronics manual desktop mill to CNC. I'm using 3 NEMA 23 282oz/in stepper motors and have finished fabricating the mounting brackets and everything mechanical is mounted and coupled to the axis. I'm working on compiling the controller, power supply, electronics, etc. I have a friend that used a TinyG for CNC router project, would this be a good option for my project? Eventually I want to add a 4th axis (rotary), keep that in mind. I want to keep the electronics less than $350.

There is really no way to get any advise on this forum as you have what is considered to be a "hobbiest" project. This site is skewed toward professional/industrial CNC.
There are other sites that are devoted to Hobby CNC, and a Google will likely turn up a few that you can get advise from.

Happy searching!

Rex

I have a pair of Dyna 2800s. They are fine for light duty precision production work. A little to big to be considered desk top in my opinion. I converted both to AHHA electronics controls utilizing all the original Dyna stuff in the control boxes. AH-HA went out of business so I am at a loss to refer you to something different.

Thanks for the replies, the model Dyna I have is Dyna 1900, which is the manual mill version. I spoke with Dyna a few years ago and their comments indicated at the time these were extremely accurate mills intended for soft material machining that required very accurate tol. They did offer their current CNC line (at the time) to me, which started at $35k. What I am trying to do is definitely more hobby based. The controllers are cheap enough, I'm going to give it a go. Will report back.

Back