What's new
What's new

Aproximating value of various Okuma Lathes at auction.

nexsster

Plastic
We have been running a manual lathe for a while now making in house parts. Looking to get a quality used CNC.
We run a lot of 316SS Round stock max od 3" with various lengths less than 12" Mostly Pins, Shafts, Bushings etc.

No crazy tolerances I need to adhere to +/- .005

I am looking at following Okuma Models Not much if any tooling included. All of them look to be in good shape and have not been used much since 2014 when oil market crashed. I have about $30k in cash and have more I could borrow up to about $60k.....

Genos L400 2-Axis 2011
Captain L370M 2011
Captain L370M 2006
Captain L370 2006
LB4000EX - MY C1500 2011 (this bad body likely way out of my price range)

Just wondering if its a pipe dream for my company or something we can make work.
Any price estimates or general thoughts would be be awesome as I am not familiar with the market on used CNC lathes.

Let's see...we bought a 15 year old Hardinge T42 with live tooling and barfeed for like $40k. BUT that was just used market...auction is crazy because you never know who else wants that machine. If you're the only one bidding on it then you can get it for $1,000 but realistically you should be able to get those (with the exception of the LB) for ~$60 I would think. Sub spindles and live tools add a lot of cost and it doesn't sound like you need that. Hell, if you mean you can get an EXTRA $60k in addition to the $30k you've already got you could probably get a NEW Genos! But new machines are expensive. Make sure whichever brand you're going after has good service support in the area. Good luck!

Nerdlinger,

Thanks for the reply. The area I am in does not have service and support for anything. A bit of a industrial dead zone. Auction is next week and crossing my fingers. Already got the rigging lined up.

There is only one industrial machine dealer in town and he only has one cnc right now a 30 year old mazak with CRT screen. Not exactly what I want to throw my money at.

If I don't win one, I suppose I will be putting my nose back to the toolpost for a while. Thinking of changing my middle name to Aloris........

Thanks for the reply. The area I am in does not have service and support for anything. A bit of a industrial dead zone.

A new Genos lathe is pretty close to your current budget, and if you're in an "industrial dead zone," buying new puts them on the hook to get everything up and running with full coverage over the 12 months you've got to learn the ins-outs of the machine. You also establish an ongoing relationship that makes it way easier to get support in the future when the warranty goes out. From what I've heard, Okuma doesn't have any shitty distributors.

Your budget is close enough to warrant a call to Hartwig, and ask about a new Genos.

Regarding your OP: Auction prices are too hard to predict.
I was at a local PMI auction yesterday, where a 2012, Haas ST-30, 2 axis, went for a staggering $60K:eek::(:confused:
Figuring in the 15% premium, that comes to $69K. The base price of a (bone stock) 2017, ST-30 is $63,995.00

Best of luck!

Crazy Auction

Again, I really Appreciate all the responses.

I am convinced there is at least a van load of crazy people at every auction.
We are in the oilfield business and we purchase and repair equipment from auction.

Seen cheap Chinese knocks offs go for $1000's more than USA made new. There were 3 manufactures for the new products with 10 miles of the auction location. The local places had these products in stock..........

Then same auction I picked up a $10,000 item for less than $300...... WTF!!!! People are Insane!
The auctioneers must own some of that stuff and have shill bidders. Then if they win their own item, just try again next time a few months down the road. Donno, maybe I just came in the van and forgot....

Looks like they went for $30-$35k + 15% except the big one. I did not win any since I had to travel and my proxi bids were just shy of winning bids.......

Looks like they went for $30-$35k + 15% except the big one. I did not win any since I had to travel and my proxi bids were just shy of winning bids.......

LOL wouldn't you know..... the house always wins ( unless it is crap.... then you have a chance getting it.

I got a quote from hartwig and they were happy to quote me the low low price of $100,000 for the genos L400 2 axis. Guess I was wasting my time on Okuma. On the bright side they were in stock....

Back