Back Boring / Threading Tools? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well - solder didn't werk!

I heated up the bar with a torch and then touched the solder to it and it melted quickly, but just balled up like a slug of mercury on top.

???

Never used solder in this way before. I guess that's why they put copper in it for this type app?
    I don't have any braze....

Anyway, I had it tonked down in to what I thought was bottom and left an 1/8" sticking out, but while I was heating it up, the slug dropped 1/8" on it's own.

So - I guess I have a press fit in the bottom that should hold _ for now anyway...

I'll give'r a shot.

Not the best pic I guess, but you can also see the coolant hole to some degree too.
    I drilled a 5/16 (?) hole through to the end of the large D, and then feathered it out with a ball endmill, and it shoots right to the tip better than expected.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well - solder didn't werk!

I heated up the bar with a torch and then touched the solder to it and it melted quickly, but just balled up like a slug of mercury on top.

???

Never used solder in this way before. I guess that's why they put copper in it for this type app?
    I don't have any braze....

Anyway, I had it tonked down in to what I thought was bottom and left an 1/2" sticking out, but while I was heating it up, the slug dropped 1/8" on it's own.

So - I guess I have a press fit in the bottom that should hold _ for now anyway...

I'll give'r a shot.

Not the best pic I guess, but you can also see the coolant hole to some degree too.
    I drilled a 5/16 (?) hole through to the end of the large D, and then feathered it out with a ball endmill, and it shoots right to the tip better than expected.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Regular lead or antimony plumbing solder wouldn't be the best option. It's not good on steel or structural.

I was thinking silver solder or brazing alloy.
    Stay-Silv-15 is what I use on HVAC stuff, or high-pressure copper, but it doesn't actually need to be a silver alloy.
    The advantage to some of the silver solder products is that they are self-fluxing.

Standard brazing rod would be a good choice. Hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot carry small packs of fluxed and non-fluxed braze filler.
    The welding supply stores would have it too, but you'd have to wait for Monday and you will probably end up with a 3 pound tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cwtoyota View Post
    Regular lead or antimony plumbing solder wouldn't be the best option. It's not good on steel or structural.

I was thinking silver solder or brazing alloy.
    Stay-Silv-15 is what I use on HVAC stuff, or high-pressure copper, but it doesn't actually need to be a silver alloy.
    The advantage to some of the silver solder products is that they are self-fluxing.

Standard brazing rod would be a good choice. Hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot carry small packs of fluxed and non-fluxed braze filler.
    The welding supply stores would have it too, but you'd have to wait for Monday and you will probably end up with a 3 pound tube.
    Shop Lincoln Electric 1/8-in Flux Coated Brazing Rod at Lowes.com

Bernzomatic WB5 Bronze Flux Coated Brazing and Welding Rods-33449 - The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well that didn't fix anything.

I think I'm gunna just hafta start over with some bigger stock and not cut it down near this much.

I couldn't make the boring bar any bigger for it's app, but the threader doesn't reach behind much of a step at all, so I can make that one much heavier.

Back to the drawing board!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

5. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that is made out of cold roll? If ya have a hunk 4140PH laying around you might try making the next one outta that?

I like the way you did the radius relief on your bar but since you mentioned there isn't much to reach around I wonder if you could get away with just milling a flat to possibly retain more of the mass? IDK I can't see the part just thinking out loud I guess. What size thread you needing to do?

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, this one was just some 1.750 1018.
    But I have some 2.625 4140ph that should work perfect.

Thread is 2"

Of course I still have to turn the shank down to 1.500.

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 12-03-2017 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Shank

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try Sandvik SL (serration-lock) heads for smaller back boring...
    57-SVUCR-2-11X-E

I use it on the end of one of these...
    C5-57-3C 2 19 but they also have standard shanks.

I use these on some applications. Once you have the bar you can switch out the heads. Sometimes I need a VBMT, sometimes an ID groove tool, mostly used with TCMT inserts for finishing. It's expensive to start out but very versatile once you have the bar.

9. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a nice lookin' head!

But it doesn't appear to have quite enough reach for my app.
    I need at least a 1/2" offset to work for my app.
    This one has 10mm.

Also - can't go any (not much) bigger than the 20mm shank on that tool.

But thanks anyhow!

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I think this one will work.

I did end up with some chatter by the time that I snuck up on the size, but I didn't have any chatter that I could hear or see after the first threading cycle, and in the 3 subsequent cycles (+.005 each time) I only got chatter on my extra spring passes. I started undersize on porpoise.

It was set for 2 extra spring passes, but I have now taken that out. So, between no springs, and no sneaking, I should be good to go.

Also - I have enough coolant coming through that threading bar to fill Lake Mead!

One thing that held me up a cpl of days on this was the fact that I needed more large boring bar tooling blocks. I have had this machine for 20 years, and NOW I need 2 more big holders, and of course I can't find any on The Bay. So I went to shophardinge.com and seen that they did in fact still offer the blocks and were in stock. (at least one anyhow?) I thought that I seen somewhere a price of $450 each, but in the end I couldn't find it anymore.

Well, I have lots of new part samples to be making this month, and for $450 each, yeah, I'll prolly just order a cpl up and be done with it. But when I called in I found that there was another option.... The voice wanted $1325 each for these pretty blocks of steel....

"Yeah ... no .... Let's just cancel this order and I will find another option....."

So I had to make a cpl of those too.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

12. Likes yardbird, jancollc liked this post