Back up your computer! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If one has SATA drives there is a device at best buy we call a drive toaster since it looks like a toaster.

It holds 2 SATA drives and has usb interface.

We use it to make image captures and create replacement drives.

We have systems with old software not supported well and easier to make a stack of cloned drives.

You can make a direct drive to drive copy or save the image.

have not tried to copy host computer drive but could be done maybe with correct software.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My solution to all this is my main drive for everything business is in the cloud. If a machine dumps you get at your stuff anywhere. It took many years to fully trust the cloud but no mishaps as of yet. When I sign an NDA I let the people know where the data is stored. If they have a problem, which is currently zero customers I throw their stuff on an internet isolated machine. Some one mentioned backing up the actual CNC controls. That is a monthly maintenance issue with use and that data is also in the cloud. I sleep a lot better now. I'm sure there are people out there that will shoot this down but no problems so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok. So this SUCKS. Had my computer up and running just fine, most everything reinstalled. Shut it down today to take out the Ubuntu drive and clean all the fans, screens, etc. Got that done, went to boot it back up..... "insert boot media"

Windows disk won't recover it. Gives a "The Disk is Locked" please unlock the disk. Tried several things on the web for this, but it won't let me write to the disk at all, so I can't copy the files over. Finally reinstalled the Ubuntu drive and it won't mount the disk either, but it does tell me WHY it won't mount it. Apparently when windows shut down (I shut it down normally) it has the disk locked as if it's still open and operating in windows. So windows never shut the disk down properly.

I'm basically going to have to wipe this drive and start over i believe. I made a clone on the external drive yesterday, but I can't get it to boot either for some reason. Anyway, I'm going to image it in ubuntu then wipe it and start over. I may try to copy the back-up over to it first and see if that works.

4. Likes Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That happened to me once. Now I set mine to no updates. But I still back up as hd's will die.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

-------------------------------------

NOTE - Originally, I thought this a fitting reply to the original post, but having now written it can see how it might be considered a hijack. So, if OP thinks that it is, just holler and I will delete this and re-post it as its own thread.

-------------------------------------

Would you believe that I read your original post, closed my laptop display that evening, went to bed, and am ONLY NOW getting the ability to respond to your post?

This has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. Before I go further, do some research. There are too many of us with Dell machines experiencing this to believe that it is not related.

I had posted about two months ago about the main computer ( laptop ) crapping out and looking for recommendations on a new laptop. I had previously always loved HP and was leaning toward purchasing another, despite many people recommending not to. In the end, they had everything I wanted, at a decent price ( or so it seemed at the time ).

I'll cut to the chase - We ended up getting an Alienware. And, as it turned out, we got two or three times the machine for less money, too. Thrilled, was how I felt. I spent the better part of two weeks loading software, making calls, staying on hold, writing emails, waiting for replies, and transferring data from our storage device in effort to get the new machine up and running. I was LITERALLY at the point of having FINALLY gotten everything almost done enough to find some back up software and install it. In fact, I was looking at reviews of them that night. That fateful night...

I read your post, closed the screen, went to bed, awoke, opened the laptop, and ....

... nothing... just a black screen.

Power down. Restart. POST, Boot screen logo, then nothing. Blank screen. Repeat, ad infinitum.

Call Dell. This was a nightmare of EPIC proportion and one that I will detail in a separate topic thread for the hope that it saves someone else the heartburn and lost time. Long story short - Am told that a tech will be by a day later to replace motherboard and SSD. Well, five days later they finally show and do the work. They leave BEFORE Windows is even done installing or verifying that everything is good. And of course it isn't. Now, I'm waiting for a replacement machine.

Members here know that I am not overly prone to vulgarity in public forums and correspondence so I will put it thusly -

THIS IS COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT, SUCH THAT I CANNOT IN GOOD FAITH ADVISE THAT ANYONE EVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM DELL OR ALIENWARE.

Next call is to Visa, to get our money back because these scam artists won't act in good faith and just cycle one from department to department, passing the buck and the blame, yet ultimately doing nothing. The following ones are to the FTC, the BBB ( toothless as they are ), and anyone else that might actually be worth the time and effort.

But I digress...

To the point of this post, now we're looking at choosing a new back up software, as well as a new NAS ( to upgrade what was in place ) so recommendations for both are welcome and solicited.

I'd like the NAS to be much faster to work with than the old one. ( Seagate, using a Barracuda optical drive , I believe ) So I'd like it to be SSD based as well, I believe. ( I am open to being corrected here ) Would really appreciate if it didn't cost an arm and a leg. WTF is up with NAS prices??? They're NOT that complicated. If I had time I would build a little Linux box, install one or two SSDs and let it do the job. But I do not have the time, OR the desire. We are far too busy for me to be doing those kinds of things any more.

I'd like the back up software to be simple. And be simple. Also, it should be simple to use. Aside from that, I'd like scheduled images, weekly full backups, and nightly updating of changed and created files. As well, I'd like one ( possibly two ) instances of versioning. ( in case I'm using the wrong term - meaning changed files have one or two versions of the earlier version available ) I am not interested in more than one piece of software for this. At all. If in doubt, read the first three requisites.