What's new
What's new

turning center parting tools - whats your favorite?

WILLEO6709

Diamond
I am in the market for a different parting tool for a recently aquired machine and am looking for what gets used.... everyone has a parting tool but my most experiance has been with kennametal a3 style. They cut ok when in good shape but I go though holders more than I like. I have used replaceable blade manchesters but on my new machine it sounds like an unbalanced washing machine in the cutoff op.

Basically its a 2 inch capacity lathe, looking for a robust parting tool that won't break the bank... I have a call into the kennametal rep but open to suggestions. This machine will probably run the gamut on materials but the first job is 1.50 round 1018 out of S20 collet pads.

Don't have the part# here, but Iscar makes several that we use here. Big one is about .122" wide, small one is .06?". Works great.
i_r_

If you're referring to the Tang-Grip "P" shaped inserts, they are outstanding... Single sided only, but they are very robust and evacuate chips better than anything else I've ever seen.

I like using seco MDT (multi directional turning) tools for parting if the OD isn't too big. I figure you can turn with them so they are pretty rigid. They make a few different styles of insert and a chipbreaker specifically for cutoff.

MDT - Seco Tools

I have an extended holder that I ground a little off of to increase the capacity. I can part off a 2.125" od part with a .4375 hole.

I have used Manchesters forever and they did the job, but I just switched to Iscar and so far so good 3mm wide cartridge type double ended insert.
Can you tell me about the Pale Horse emblem?

Tang Grip IQ from Iscar. I typically try to stay away from Iscar but this is one tool from them that I stand behind. I use this tool everyday to run unmanned production and the results are great. Just finished up a job of 830 pcs in 304 stainless with only changing the insert once.

I also use the Iscar TAG N3J and N3C inserts. They fit in the TANG grip holders. They wont "suck out" and cause a melt down like the A3's and the tool life is excellent!

Proturn

I have a few of the older style iscar do-grip stuff that I used for years and liked them because I use a lot of GRIP style inserts for my profiling tools and face grooving so it made sense to have a more of a standard insert for a few holders. I bought a 2 of the newer ones that take the TAG a couple of months ago because I got a decent deal from the rep as a package with a few inserts and I have to say that I'm really impressed with them. The chip evacuation is excellent. The only draw back is the single sided insert.

I like using seco MDT (multi directional turning) tools for parting if the OD isn't too big. I figure you can turn with them so they are pretty rigid. They make a few different styles of insert and a chipbreaker specifically for cutoff.

MDT - Seco Tools

I have an extended holder that I ground a little off of to increase the capacity. I can part off a 2.125" od part with a .4375 hole.

I use the same tool and it works great! Can't beat it for grooving, turning, and cutting off. Super rigid!!

I haven't altered mine though so the largest it can part off solid is 1.75" dia.

Anything over that and I'm using either an Iscar, or a Walter Blade style cutoff tool.

Later,
Russ

The Seco Mdt looks exactly like the system that I use from mitsubishi just a different coating on the steel. Works amazingly well, until you run one in reverse :sly: but even after that the holder is in ok shape. Plus mitsubishi has the ability to cut off 2 inch diameter stock.

We use a Seco groove/cutoff bar. Can't find the model on their website, but it works flawlessly, and mild steels run 800-1000 parts per insert (single sided). They change very quickly. I'll look at the part number when I get in today and edit this post. I can't imagine the inserts are very expensive, and every machine has two (one upper left turret, one lower turret) for different operations.

Just looked at their catalog. Page 498/499 (MN2012-Turning Inch: http://www.secotools.com/en-US/Global/Service--Support/Machining-Navigator/). I believe we use the N-14 insert on the standard two-sided cutoff bar. I'd be inclined to head that direction just because you can change the stick-out of the bar to whatever you need. Shorter for smaller material and more rigidity, or longer for larger material. Sometimes simple works the best.

Last edited:

Back