What's new
What's new

Bar for Boring and Turning

TimD

Hot Rolled
Somewhere I know I've seen it. It was a boring bar with ~1-1/4" shank that had two inserts on it (one on each side). One side was for boring the other for turning. No spindle reverse needed just an offset change.

I'm working on part out of <1/4" wall tubing that something like that would save a decent chunk of cycle time. I could fab up something myself of course but want to at least get a price for an off the shelf option first.

I've got a few of the Kennametal ones left over that I would sell at a pretty fair price (their too big for my lathe). Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you pictures and details...

Ox,

I looked through the Manchester Catalog that I have but didn't see anything other than grooving. I tried the Widia turning catalog but didn't see anything. Finding anything in the Widia catalogs always seems to allude me.

John,

I found a good price on a used Dorian that I should have in a few days. If it works as well as I hope I'd be interested in more sizes/styles. I'll keep yours in mind.

I looked through my book as well and didn't find it either.
It seems like I had it in a flyer at one time, but I don't find it around.

Maybe it never was - or maybe Widia dropped it.
That's quite possible as it would be in direct competition with a Kennametal product. So ...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I don't recall the brand, but back in the early 80s I had a couple 1.5" and 2" bars with a CNMG pocket on one side and a Kennametal Topnotch pocket on the other side. Bore and thread or groove with one tool. Was really nice when the turret only had 8 positions.

Back