What's new
What's new

Bar feeders

MC Parts Kid

Aluminum
Good day Gentleman, Hope I got this in the right place. Got a simple question if someone could take two minutes. We own a Hardinge CHNC II and we want to put a bar feeder on it. I don't want to put on an old Hardinge one shot at a time. I see there are magazine types. I guess my real question here is how do they work? I know there is hydrolic and pull types but what triggers them? Will any feeder be compatible with our unit or and I barking up a tree to tall to climb. Thanks in advance. Bob L

Hi Bob. To answer your "how do they work" question, there's usually some kind of intelligence in the bar feeder itself, whether it be a programmable ladder setup or a full blown microprocessor type. The bar feeder hooks in to your controller and as the material is fed into the machine the bar feeder monitors the position of the pushing mechanism and bar remnant length. When it gets to a certain preset point the bar feeder signals the controller that a bar change is needed. The controller then signals the bar feeder to initiate a bar change. The bar changer does its thing and when the change is complete the bar feeder signals the controller that it's finished and the machine can go back to work. There's a bit more 'smoke and mirrors' involved but that's the simple version.

First thing I'd probably do is check your G and M codes, see if there's a M code for a bar feed of some kind.

Second, bar feeders of the magazine type can expensive. Unless you're running serious production I don't know if they'd be cost-effective in your particular application.

We run 3 Iemca bar feeders here where I work. They have excellent up time and excellent excellent (yes, I said it twice) customer support.

Good luck.

Thanks, for the reply AJ. I sort have figured that the way it worked. Since I posted this I was able to find a lot more info on this site including the other thread that's on the front page right know. We are looking to do a 6 foot magazine type due to lack of space right now.
Thanks again, Bob L

Iemca makes good machine. LNS does also. Almost everyone offers servo barfeeders. Much more accurate, no need for a hard stop.

Back