What's new
What's new

help with right cutters

NIMROD

Aluminum
OK guys, I'm looking for good long lasting endmills to cut keyways in a 4020 Fadal VMC. I've tried 3 flute, 4flute, HSS and carbide. I think the carbide 4 flutes worked the best. I'm cutting 1045 and 1144, no tool steels. Plenty of coolant, I've set the cutters to take a chip load of between .001 and .002, but the problem is I want endmills that will last. I'm not sure what brand to use, I do know pretty much all tool sales reps are worthless as far as customer support. They come and go without suppling soulutions just very high tooling bills. I think it would be cheaper to buy good quality endmills that last veses cheaper endmills with more tool changes. Do you guys have any recomendations on endmill brands and styles for longer tool life? Of course we would like to buy American, but it seems like the market is flooded with import junk. Any information will be greatly appreciated.-Thanks

they range in dia. from 1/4 to 1/2 with metrics from 8mm to 14mm, we've also been using the stub lenght endmills to help reduce chatter but the std. length ones seem to cut fine without too much chatter

Nimrod,

I don't thin you can go wrong with any of the tools offered by our residnet tool reps on this board.

I would not have a problem with recommending ExKenna, Frank from Mari, or Lake shore Carbide.

Any of their high performance end mills will last quite well (material depending) and you will get great service from them.

Doug.

double check your coolant and make sure its where it should be for the type of material your cutting. if your low on oil then you won't have the lubricity you need and will damage cutters faster.

I did well with Maritools' double end (short) endmills and the vari-pitch where the cats meow. Cost and performance where very good, you should have no problem in 1045 taking a standard key depth in one shot.

What I did not see was the Size, SFM and Depth of cut you are using.

What is the tool life you are getting, is the endmill wearing out, maybe not enough feed. Is the tool breaking or chipping? Too much feed, chips are not being cleared and re-cut.

One re-occuring job in 1045, I use cheap Accupro 3/16", 4 flute non coated, stub lengh carbide Endmills and cut 150-250 keyways @ .1875 x 3/32 x 2"OAL. It is done in one shot using 175SFM with .0011FPT. More often then not, the end the e/m looks good as new when done.

Be carefull on keyways that you are getting the chips out of the cut- recutting chips is a great way to destroy a cutter, and small keyways almost need an airblast to get the chips out of the way. At least check this.
Dan

Nimrod,

I would be more than happy to help you on any specific applications you have. I have 4 flute finishers that are TIALN coated. I have them in Inch and Metric.

I have double end standard end mills and double end variable flute that make your money go further.

Nimrod
Not sure what type of tool failure you're experiencing but make sure your toolholder (ideally hydraulic or shrink fit) is running concentric with the cutter and if your using a collet, make sure that it's all clean and running true.
There are many good tool manufacturers but at the end of the day, in my experience, all their good work will come to nothing and all you'll get is a high tooling bill.
FYI we run hydraulic toolholders balanced to g6.3 at 15000 rpm with no more than 0.0002" runout.
Cheers
Mike

Nimrod, we do the same stuff...keyways in 1045 TG&P. Generally will run a 3/8" Variflute from Frank Mari for 1/2" keyway and 1/2" e/m for larger sizes...adjust for your size as required. We will rough with the variflute leaving 0.010" per side for clean up, and hit it with a finisher kissing both sides and the floor to get rid of the radiused corners...you can make your width dead on this way without having to get "special" keyslotting endmills, just comp in to your desired width. If you run the roughing cut at 350 sfm or better and a good chipload, the chips will fly out of the slot. If we experience chip build up, we can hit it with an air blast, but generally the air blast hurts you if the air is blowing the chips back into the cut. You should be getting pretty good life from your cutters as that stuff is buttery soft.

What is the cuter diameter that you run 0.001-0.002" chipload?

Steve

Back