What's new
What's new

bar puller/ collet conflict in fanuc control

moaprecision

Aluminum
Hey guys- haven't posted in a while, but now I have a new challenge for ya. My Emco-maier 320 uses a Fanuc O-T control. I have a project that needs a bar puller, but the control will not allow any movements in a program if the collet is open. Is there a parameter that can be used to lock out the safety feature so I can pull the bar with the collet open? Currently I just get a "Collet Open" alarm. My big Hardinge has a more modern Fanuc control and it gives no alarm in the same situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Tom

Our Hardinge with an OT-B needs to be run in AUTO and of course with the door closed - it will not run in SINGLE BLOCK either.

Steve

re- auto mode-

I am running it in auto..... it just stops when it reaches the next movement line after the collet opens. :nutter:Then, if I hit cycle start it gives me a 2008 alarm(part unclamped). btw, the door interlocks on this machine were disabled by the previous owner, so I know some safety features can be overridden.
thanks,
Tom

Hey guys- the M code list does not have anything in it (at least in the manual) but just for the heck of it I might try those M-code numbers, since the manual doesn't have them assigned to something else. Can't hurt unless it crashes, right? I think I'll remove the bar and reset my tool position out in the middle of the travel first. Thanks! Please keep sending Ideas in case this is not it.

Tom

Here is my bar puller program for a Daewoo Puma 4 with Fanuc 0T.

If it is giving you an error make sure that your interlock is set to collet closed for workholding otherwise it thinks the collet is open already when it tries to move. You will obviously have to change your Z coordinates and feeds based on your needs.

(TOOL - 6 OFFSET - 6)
(BLOCK - PULL)
G0X10.Z10.
G0T0606
X0.
Z-0.3
G98G1Z-.35F2
M69
Z-.015
M68
Z.05
G0Z10.X10.T0606

update

Update- The m-codes did not work....machine just froze at the line containing it. The collet parameter is set at nomally closed (SD byte 451 = 0000001). It moves and machines just fine in the program clear up until the bar gripper is engaged. After gripper has bar, I give it the OL' M25 (collet open) then a Z positive command ( makes no diff' if I use G0 or G1 in IPM or IPR mode), then....nothing. Machine makes no move. If I hit a key, then alarm2008 "part unclamped". All I can find in any of the literature, including the link from dave at Shneidermachine, says machine WILL NOT MOVE if collet is open. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO USE A BAR PULLER THEN??:angry:?? My EMCO book even has drawings FROM THE FACTORY for making a bar puller to fit the sauter turret.:nutter: The real p!sser is that my hardinge CNC uses a fanuk control and it is fine doing ANYTHING with the collet open as long as I don't turn on the spindle or the live tooling!

Lest I should appear ungrateful, Thanks much for all the help BTW. just keep striking out on the solution. Only getting mad because my bid was based on second opping while the machine was running, not babysitting and advancing stock by hand!!!!! I am just about at the point that I could have fed it by hand and been finished by now. How retarded is that?:rolleyes5:
Tom

Keep checking back here. More often than not, someone will come up with a solution at some point. Usually about 2 weeks after you need it, but it will be there for next time. RJT

Ooo, Ooo, Mister Kotter, Mr Kotter. (hands in the air waving wildly) ;)

I "may" know the answer to your problem.
Shut the spindle down, change to G97 (IPM) position the puller, open the collet and pull the part.
G98 (IPR) will not allow movement without the spindle running.

Hope that does the trick fer ya.
Dave

Hey guys- haven't posted in a while, but now I have a new challenge for ya. My Emco-maier 320 uses a Fanuc O-T control. I have a project that needs a bar puller, but the control will not allow any movements in a program if the collet is open. Is there a parameter that can be used to lock out the safety feature so I can pull the bar with the collet open? Currently I just get a "Collet Open" alarm. My big Hardinge has a more modern Fanuc control and it gives no alarm in the same situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Tom

Tom,

Here is the code that works on my leadwell with an OT-C
The part that had me hung up was that I didn't put it into ipm mode
M98, once I put that in the code the the M11 and M10 functioned properly
The dwells made sure everything was either fully clamped or unclamped before trying to move. With out the dwells the pull out distance varied to much.

HTH

Von

O0001 (Master Program)

M98 P0020100
M30

0100 (Subprogram)
G20
G28 U0. W0.;
G0 T0202;

G0 X-2.25 Z0.; (move puller to centre)
G98; (set to IPM mode)
G1 X0. F40.; (move puller to clamp)
M11; (chuck open)
G4 P1000; (dwell for spindle)
G1 Z.5.; (pull bar out)
M10; (chuck close)
G4 P1000; (dwell for closing)
G0 X-2.25; (back off in X)
G99; (set to IPR mode)
G28 U0. W0.;
G0 T0200
M99

Currently I just get a "Collet Open" alarm. My big Hardinge has a more modern Fanuc control and it gives no alarm in the same situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Tom

I have the same control but with a three jaw chuck. On my machine, I have to stop the spindle, open the chuck, then feed the puller. This control reads 2 lines ahead, so maybe its getting stuck on the puller feed rate rather than getting stuck on the open collet. Did you try using G94 when feeding the puller?

On my machine, I have a line : G01 Z-1.0 G94 F200.

Hope that helps.

pretty sure it is collet alarm

Hey guys-
I'm pretty sure it is caused by the open collet and here is why- I have now tried BOTH IPM setting and IPR setting, with G4s up to 1.5 seconds(G4 P1500) to give the collet time to open completely, and also for the h&ll of it tried the pull in rapid mode ( not IPM/IPR sensitive). It stalls when the cursor (reading ahead) gets to the first move (G0 OR G1) after the collet opens. Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming, but I think the key will be to disable the collet interlock somehow so the machine will move with it open. BTW, any time I try to start a prog without remembering to close the collet first, it gives me the alarm immediately before any rapid moves, spindle on, tool change, etc. It obviously doesn't like to do ANYTHING with the collet open.:bawling::bawling::bawling:

Tom

Well, it was worth a try, right? Let me go through the parameter list from my Compac6, seems to me I had that same problem although it was near 8-9 yrs ago and I don't remember what the heck I had to do to make it work. T'was probably a parameter setting as you mentioned in your first post. My control is an Emco Tronic T2, not Fanuc but maybe I can find the "terminology" use to decifer it.
Dave

Back