What's new
What's new

New Mori NMV5000DCG kicking my @$$ VID

g-coder05

Titanium
Well Heres the new Mori showing me whos boss. the machine is four months old now and I cant even hardly power it up. The MAPS control is too complicated. The machine comes with an MPG handle but you cant have the doors open to use it! I did however figure out how to make the roof retract! The machine is well built but I think a Fanuc control would be much better. Hmm, Maybe I should use the training voutures?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT12t1u8jn8

I just work there so the finacials are off limits to me. After about two days on that thing I told them to leave me on the Haas machines. They may not be as fast but the simplicity of a Haas is worth a fortune. I hat comparing a Mori to a Haas but the MAPS control is rediculously confusing.

Don't know about having a Fanuc instead of the Mits making any difference, but I do have to say this. Today's "safeties" are unquestionably making life not only more difficult, but actually less safe.
Not sure if that is a Mori invention, but certainly.
My Duraturn cannot graph a program by itself. It will either turn the spindle in machine lock or it will move axes in dry run, but there is no way to graph it even tough it has the graph function ( Fanuc)
The NL will also not graph a program ( or it will but not with any reasonable way to decipher what the f@ck it's doing) You can translate an existing program back into MAPPS, but only after you individually re-define the tool database for that one program alone. With doors open, you cannot send the subspindle home using G330. You can use G28, but that will first move it to it's programmed zero pos, which has the potential to crash it into the main spindle or the turret ... or possibly both.
MAPPS itself is a retarded cruel joke. After dicking with it for a half a day I've decided to just own up and try to figure out the G-code equivalents and program it offline.

Don't get me wrong, the control is bulletproof for running a machinetool, but is downright hostile to set it up. Yes, you will eventually get used to the idiocies and almost accept it as a fact of life, but I doubt it will ever be as simple and second nature as a Haas control. Doubt Mori, Fanuc or MIts gives a shit tough.....

just curious, Is there any way to get the spindle to come on with the doors open? I was finding center of a bore with a blake coax today and had to turn the spindle by hand while another guy moved the axis to center. We have the full probing system but im not even going to attempt that. I used to the Haas VQC probing cycle but this is way different.

And yes i'll ditch the keyed chuck. It was the only thing handy since I cant figure how to call a tool from the 120 hive. M6 TXX doesnt work. It uses some sort of macro.

Nice looking machine. Too bad it is such a pain in the ass to operate.

Why on earth would they make is such a pain in the ass? Hell, if a low buck haas is so easy why can't a high dollar machine be as well.

The safety interlocks suck. Good thing this guys don't make chain saws.:)

We want a movie when you get to second base.:)

Just curious. Is this yet another case where a company buys a very nice machine to take advantage of the section 179 MACRS deductions, yet is too cheap to send the operator for training or tool it up properly?

Even a TV remote comes with instructions....

Wow what a great machine. It's beautiful no doubt. Lot of warning lights lol.

Don't be discouraged get the boss to send you to some training sure you will be driving that thing like a Porsche in no time.

Plan of action!

Learning curves are a bitch but you have to look at the opertunity.

"Man up", you are not going to regret it! Have the company pay for a little training, you will not be replaced any time soon. Just take home the operator manual for the weekend, just learning the basics is just a few hours, no big deal!

Try to staY positive or be positive, our industry is changing very rapidly, it is hard to make money with a simple Haas verticle mill these days.

All of the multi-axis machines are lot cheaper than labor but there is a catch, you never stop learning, you learn that it is just part of the industry now.

"Have fun", great machine!

LandM1

Firstly, I think you'll find it does have a fanuc control (31iA5)

Secondly, comparing a 3axis haas to a 3axis MAPPS equipped Mori I prefer the Mori. It's just a case of getting used to it.

With the MPG, are you talking about the one on the control or a remote one?

nice toy :)

Mori's arent bad, just different than the haas. Learn it and you wont want to ever touch that flimsy haas again. I find them much easier after learning both. The haas wont hardly let you do anything.

Spindle probably wont turn with the doors open...Welcome to the new European safety stuff....

It has a probe and after you figure it out you will want one on every machine or will whine because you dont :)

Every machine i have purchased came with a few days training in house.

just curious, Is there any way to get the spindle to come on with the doors open? t figure how to call a tool from the 120 hive. M6 TXX doesnt work. It uses some sort of macro.

there is a way to get the spindle or anything to work with the door open... it just involves making the machine think the door is closed. we made a key that fits into the door interlock mechanism just so it will think its closed...problem solved.

as for the tool change issue, you may try m101 rather than m6. we have a few machines that read the m101, it basically just calls out the macro that the other machines already have m6 assigned to

for tool changer try in mdi M06T02T00

i have to put in the extra Tnumber for the cain to select the next tool .

so if you want to change to tool 2 and stage tool 3 M6T02T03

I have to use this on my mazak in eia

Actually, the control itself is rather nicely organized.
While I hate the soft keys used to do everything data related, the actual machine control and mode keys are organized they way they should be and in case of Mori, they are always in the very same position regardless of the machinetool itself.
While I still prefer the Haas style full integration and the ability to get anywhere from anywhere with one touch, the Mori layout is not bad at all.

We have several NMV5000's and they run almost continuously, never had any trouble using them. They are complicated but are very well built machines.

As was stated before, MAPPS is Morie's interface for the Fanuc control.

An easy way to get some training on the NMV is the 'Mori Seiki University'. They have online NMV machine operation as well as programming courses.

-->> MSU Education On Demand

Hey can anyone tell me ballpark how much an NVM5000 would cost? I'm guessing $275K but am prepared to be out by a factor of two!

Thanks,

Robin

Back