What's new
What's new

Barfeed tubing, how to?

Eric U

Hot Rolled
One of my main products would be easiest to make out of 1-3/4" x 1/2" wall tube. My biggest pusher is 16mm, which is smaller than the hole in the tube. How do you guys run something like this. Put a plug in the tubes? Say screw it and just drill from solid? Sorry for the newb barfeed question. This is my first barfeeder.

Thanks,
Eric U

Most folks make an aluminum plug with an O-ring on it. That allows for variations in the ID of each tube and makes a good seal to prevent oil from going out into the machine.

Depending on the material, it may be more cost effective to start from solid rod.

We have one part that is made from 6061 2.5" tube x .25" wall. If we had a machine with that big of through hole it would be cheaper running it from solid rod.

I've used whiskey bottle corks before to plug the hole as prevent coolant from running back through the tube. (The kind with a cork stopper and a wooden cap.) I'm not sure how relevant it would be for your application, but you could certainly replicate it with a cork to plug the hole, and a cap for the bar feed to push against.

How about using a bar puller instead of a pusher?

Still need to find a way to plug the end of the tube if you plan to run coolant.

I make a few parts out of tube and it isn't cheaper to make from solid. One is 2.125 x .120 wall DOM tube. Aside from chip control there is no problem making them from tube. The other is 2.25" x .075 wall aluminum tube. This job runs great and would be a pita to run from solid.

I'd make a top hat type plug out of something like polyethelene and hammer it in - job done.

Either reuse or bin it with the drop.

We tubing almost exclusively. We use plastic plugs and reclaim them.

I am not sure how running something this size from solid could be cheaper? That is a lot of pounds of scrap to send to the scrap man. Almost all of our tubing is optimized for the finished product. Just a little on the inside and outside to clean up and that is all. Then again we buy most of our material straight from the extrusion house and very little from second hand suppliers.

We had a long running job that used tubing. We made a steel plug with a couple of orings to keep the bar feed oil from running into the tube. We turned a relatively precise taper on the end to fit the pusher socket to keep vibration down.

That tube would only have a 3/4" hole through it. Throw a frickin insert drill in there and smoke a hole in it. I understand some parts need to be made from tube, ei long length/small ID. But, I HATE HATE HATE tube. If I can make it from solid for a little bit more $$$, I'll do it every time. Plus you're stuck with crappy cuttin 1018 or 1026. Going solid opens up alot of differnt alloys that cut with less chip problems and/or faster feeds/speeds, 12L14, 1215, 1045, 1144 SP, etc.

Pipe plastic plugs or end caps are commonly avalible from good plastic component suppliers very cheapy, no need to make them

Back