What's new
What's new

Basic startup procedure for Mori Seiki SL1a

Bluejeep

Hot Rolled
I'm going to look at a 84 Mori Sl-1a with a Fanuc 6TB control on wed. The dealer say he can power it up, but doesn't know how to run it. Could someone give me a procedure to at least home it, jog the axis's, how to turn the spindle on, open/close the chuck and index the turret. Any other info or thoughts on what I should look for would be apreciated. This would be my 1st turning center.
Thanks -Justin

Justin:
Call me. I will tell you over the phone,(614-888-8466 ) it s no big deal.
By the way, we will be there around Christmas if you need more help.
Heinz.

Hopefully the dealer knows enough to ensure the correct voltage and phase rotation.

Unless equipped with an external transformer, it will run on 208-242V. Inside the electrical cabinet, there will be a couple control transformers and a servo power transformer that should be tapped to match the incoming power (208, 220, 240). Though it may run OK for a test drive it is possible that not setting them correctly will give problems.

Since it has a 6TB, I'm pretty sure it will have a Fanuc AC spindle drive. That drive has a toggle switch just behind the front board that selects 200V or 220V. Should be set to the correct value. If the dealer has 220V then it will work in either position though best would be on the 220V setting. If the dealer has 240V and the switch is set to 200V then the voltage regulation portion of the front board is overworked and prone to fail prematurely.

Keep in mind that even though the axes travel and the spindles turns the correct direction the phase rotation may be wrong. The phase rotation can be checked by the presence of hydraulic pressure or by rotation direction of the waylube pump motor. When new there was a label on the hydraulic pump motor that showed the correct rotation for the motor. That is usually long gone on old machines. Some motors had the direction arrow stamped into the fan cover so check for that too. If phased backward, the chuck will not open/close and the turret will not index, or may try to index backward.

Justin:
Are you on Cape Cod?
I have trained a shop in Mashpee on several lathes with the Fanuc 6T control, the shopowners name is Justin, just like yours.
If your machine works OK, you can learn all skills from the Lathe DVDs, but make sure it works first.
The Makino is a really good machine, you should have a lot of fun once you learn CNC.
Call me with any questions.
Heinz, doccnc

I'm on Cape in Falmouth. Mashpee that must be Bigwood? I'll be heading down to look at the lathe mid morning. If the machine has issues tommorow I'll keep looking. It will be nice to move things off my VMC that should really be on a lathe, and to have one more spindle going without me cranking handles and bathing in coolant.

update

Heinz, Sorry I didn't get ahold of you yesterday, I wrote down your # with a 617 area code. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. The dealer did indeed not know much about the machine other than how to turn it on. It would turn on, but not get

pass not ready. with an ?error light. I figured that it was probably because both the way lube tank and the hydrolic tank were empty, But he had neither fluid in his shop... So that lead me to call up Boston Machine and they did have a lathe

that was more the size I was looking for, and it was running, and he knew how to run it. An hour more north and I was in the warehouse of Boston Machine. I had never been there before. That place is amazing... They had a very clean

Hitachi Seiki Hitec-20. with a fanuc 3TF control. The machine ran very nice and the salesman knew the control and showed me thru it and the fapt programming. Looks like I'll have a green machine in my shop in a couple of weeks :).

Hello Justin:
I am glad you got a running machine.
The 3TF was an adventure when it was new, it was Fanucs first Conversational control.
Before it came out, Fanuc gave me a control in a yellow box and I trained myself on it to be able to teach the course for Fanuc in Chicago.
One thing to look out for:
Usually the Conversational part of the control quits working first, but you still have all the G-Code part of the control working.
If you need anything, call or write. 614-888-8466. one suggestion: start learning now.
Heinz, doccnc.com

Back