What's new
What's new

Battery alarm

rodrigohv

Plastic
Hello!

May be somebody can help me, I have a Hardinge Talent 8/52 lathe, it has Fanuc 0i-TB control, and recently it started to show BATTERY alarm lighting in yellow on screen,

The main issue is that I already replaced 3 times for new battery and the alarm still continue on the screen, and Im losing parameters everytime when I turn off lathe,

I checked mainboard A16B-3200-0491 with multimeter to check voltage on terminals, traces and everything looks good... battery is 3V

I cleaned board, rechecked again, and alarm still continue, I removed battery with intention, then I turned ON lathe, but there is no effect if it have connected the battery (no matter status of it) it show highlight in yellow "BAT".

May be I need to reset some parameters, to do something on control? I have read that in DGNOS, parameter 202 is which handle this battery ALARM, but all of them are in "0", I was expecting to see "1" which could give me a clue about the issue but no...

I have to load parameters everytime, but the worst part is that everytime i have to "fight" with more alarms that I have to clear...

Any help is so much appreciated!

Thank you

There can be up to 3 different backup batteries on modern fanuc control, depending on how your machine has been configured by the MTB.

i.e. On my Lathe with Oi-TD control there is a main backup battery (lasts about 2 years), a turret position backup battery (lasts about 4 years), and then there is a small backup battery in behind the screen part of the control itself (i haven't had to replace one yet of these, but have been told by fanuc rep here that expected life span is about 5 - 6 years approx.)

ALL of these backup batteries must be replaced whilst the machine is 'ON' in the powered-up state, otherwise shit happens.......

Thank you for your answer and help,
I still cant figure out whats the problem, Hardinge manual do not mention any 3rd battery, effectively, I already replaced them 2 times, I mean for FANUC drive (3V) and Turret (MITSUBISHI drive (3.6V)), but I didnt know the possibility about a 3rd battery behind of screen, I gave a look so quickly removing plate from metal, but I couldnt see anything, I have to remove the screen and keyboard completely to see. I will post news if I find something new.

According with my experience, this small battery would not keep parameters ON, since this is apparently handled by Fanuc Drive, which is the motherboard and EPROM where this info is saved.

Thanks

Might use a A98l-0031-0026 behind the screen, there must be a way that the control opens up? mine just hinges out on the mill once I undo a couple screws.
Anyhow, that would be a parameter battery, its small, weird looking, and lasts many years.

I already removed the panel 0i-TB, to look behind of screen and nothing, there is no battery on there.

It doesn't looking like a battery. Take a picture of the back end and post it if you can.
On the Oi- TC/MC and up its right there in the bottom right corner, yellow screen. here's a pic another member had taken. Maybe the TB ain't like that?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...kup-battery-2012-sharp-sv-2414-a-img_3077.jpg

these use these batteries, but maybe the TB was still doing some other thing, I couldn't find a pic of the back of a TB. Anyway I'd be surprised if there wasn't a parameter battery somewhere in there.
https://www.batterystore.com/plc-batteries/fanuc-plc/fanuc-a98l-0031-0026/

I already removed the panel 0i-TB, to look behind of screen and nothing, there is no battery on there.

P1040659.jpg

Here is a pic of the rear on my Oi-TD control. On the yellow box at the lower right corner is a black retainer that houses the backup battery for this part of the control. This is the one that is supposed to last about 5-6 years.

The other batteries that i have had to replace are in the rear (main cabinet area) of the machine.

Hope this is of some help. Cheers, Dean.

(Edit: sorry i just finished this post after getting interrupted b y customers - now see your other pics were added while i was occupied. Not sure if there is supposed to be some sort of plug-in battery back-up that is missing on your control? Or hidden on the other side of the board?? Maybe Machtool or one of the other tech guys on here will know? )

Thank you Dean for your help, it's really appreciated!

Unfortunately, there is no battery behind of my control...

When i removed motherboard from CNC, with connected battery, I checked all the way in which the voltage of battery goes, however, I just found 1 pin in the socket board which I read the voltage from battery, it goes thru I/O board, but strangely, it finish or stop in here... in pin 6, but until this point nothing is damaged.

May be somebody know which is the EPROM, where Parameters are saved? so i can look around with multimeter and look for damaged parts or non conductive traces?

Thanks again!

.....May be somebody know which is the EPROM, where Parameters are saved?

Parameters are stored in SRAM, not EPROM. If they were in EPROM you would not need a battery to retain the memory. I can not help you with a location of the memory chips because i do not have documents or a sample control.

Back