What's new
What's new

Best 4th axis vise for this block?

Machinist_max

Aluminum
Im still rather new to 4th axis work, mostly 3 axis work.

I have a part that would be perfect for the 4th, but no vise (custom fixtures in past).

Its a haas hrt 160
Needs to hold a 2"x4"x6" chunk of aluminium such that the 6" is the long way out of the 4th.

What is rigid enough for that and reasonably priced?

What is rigid enough for that and reasonably priced?

Many moons ago I needed a little 4th axis tombstone to run a huge pile of parts..
So I found what I wanted and then proceeded to damn near have a heart attack
when I saw the price...

Took a left over chunk of 3x4 Hot rolled garbage, about $50 worth of Mit-E-Bites and
an hour or so of my time, and saved about $1500.. Ran it with the tailstock for
outboard support.

You'd think 4th and 5th axis fixturing was made out of gold with the pricing on it....
And it might be worth it in the right situation, but in my situation it was NOT
worth it.

Do you want to hold it from the end, or from the bottom? If the end you need a dovetail vise. If the bottom you'd probably want a trunnion and something like pittbull clamps.

I like a gressel C2 for a manual dovetail vise. 5th axis makes a similar one that is also pretty nice.

If you don't, it won't be the fault of the vise!

You're only stuck out 3x, so it shouldn't be too bad. Work from the outside in to the degree you can. Of course, if your final part is a 2"x4"x6" hollow box with 1/32 walls, you'll have a fun time, but if you're reasonably solid it should be fine. Make the dovetail pretty wide, something like 1.5" at the base.

I want to hold from the end.

So Ill get enough rigidity out of that dovetail 6" out?

Depends on your part. If you can start on the end you should be ok. What I have done is cut a pocket maybe .350" deep and .03" bigger than my stock(only on two sides so as not to push the stock off center) in the end of a piece of round stock that I can clamp on with a 3 jaw. So as the pocket is facing away from the chuck. Then tap and use set screws(as big as you can get away with). I did 1/4-20's every 5/8" or so on two sides of the block. This captures it pretty good.

I'd start with a longer blank, stand on end and mill a boss, flip and centerdrill.
Hold it with a chuck or collet nose and support with a tailstock.

That's my suggestion because I already have all that stuff and wouldn't want to have to buy a special vise I may never need again.

Back