What's new
What's new

contouring EDT 150 steel

CBlair

Diamond
Any one machining EDT 150 steel? I have some parts, thin walled bushing that we made from 4140 and we got a real nice finish on the part. I have found with softer stuff it is hard to get that same level of finish. This is especially true when you dont have a lot of RPM to work with.

I was hoping someone would have some experience or recommendations, particularly for finish passes.

Charles

Used to machine a lot of ETD 150. Used Kennametal 850 grade inserts and 375-400 SFM for roughing and 450-500 sfm for finish. I do not remember any problems machining ETD 150.

Hope this helps.

Used to machine a lot of ETD 150. Used Kennametal 850 grade inserts and 375-400 SFM for roughing and 450-500 sfm for finish. I do not remember any problems machining ETD 150.

Hope this helps.

Same here. Very nice to work with, holds sizes quite well, and has a nice shine to its finish.

Pretty much like Stressproof. Really nice to work with. We have been able to run around 550-600 sfm with Kennametal KC935(from my experience, the best grade ever). Very short curled chips, shiny, smooth finish, ra 16 without even trying.

You'll like it a lot Charles. Its a pre HT 4140 type material that's modified for increased machinability. LaSalle's proprietary heat treatment process results in stock with very low residual stress levels as compared to what we'd all expect from the typical cold rolled rounds, so assymetric features like keyways don't make it go all goofy on you.

Hardness runs in the upper mid Rc 30's, so its harder and stronger than regular pre HT 4140, yet operations like narrow grooves or single point threading are as easy as 1144, although at a bit lower speeds. I make one part from it on a repetitive basis that has an .035" wide groove about .050" deep, and at last count I had over 1000 pieces on one edge of the grooving insert.

Back