What's new
What's new

Turning 420 SS: NEED HELP

KAG

Plastic
Hey Guys,

First off, Hello!

I have a Tormach 1100 and I am wanting to use it for some vertical lathe work. However, I am going to cut 420SS for the first time. I am getting these holders from MSC:

Any recommendations for inserts, holders (.5"), feeds and speeds, or anything else if very much appreciated. I also need a good recommendation for a cut-off tool.

I have basic lathe knowledge and not much more.

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

Kyle,

The 80° rhombus, and 35° insert styles look fine for ruff/ finishing applications.
For ruffing I would guess about 650SFM @ .01 IPR and .08" DOC, and 800SFM and .005IPR for finishing (surface requirement dependent)
I'd leave about .005" radially + the nose radius of the finishing tool on diameters for cleanup, and about .002-.003" on the faces.

For parting, I like Iscar GFN "*" J inserts for two reasons; (the * would be replaced with the MM width of the insert. I.E. GFN3J means a 3mm wide insert)
1) I'm used to their tooling and can predict what will and won't work.
2) they're available everywhere.

Here is the MSC# for the part-off holder: 60825163
IC354 grade should work great, and the "J" in the description means for softer materials like SS.
If this were a "Mod 420 SS" then I would use a normal GFN3 without the "J" chipbreaker.
Parting (setup dependent) would be about 500SFM @ .005IPR until I get within Ø.2", then I slow both the RPM and IPR down to not throw the part.

Doug.

"MOD 420" is some of the nastiest stuff I have encountered. It is a a weird hardened 420SS that machines like crap!! :angry:

Back