What's new
What's new

Help! Some keys on the keyboard randomly stop working- 1992 Fadal 4020

andrewkeisler

Aluminum
I went to power on my 1992 Fadal 4020 yesterday morning and keys - AUTO, 3,5,R,W,S,X stopped working. I powered the machine off and left it for 6 hours and then powered it back on, all the keys were functioning properly at this point. This morning rolls around and now I have lost almost all my keys. Has anyone had a problem like this before or can give some advice? I'd hate to start replacing the keypad and board if thats not where my problem is. Thanks, Andrew

On a Haas I've had it where the keys stopped working. We took the front of the panel off and blew it off and put it back on and it worked fine.

I have no idea what the layout of a Fadal 4020 keybad is, but are the affected keys related in some way? For example, as they all in one column, or all in one row?

Keyboards are typically connected as a "matrix" (imagine a checkerboard with a key on each square). Each square (key) is represent by the ROW and COLUMN that contain it. So if you have lost keys all in one column, or all in one row, it suggests that the wire to that column or row of keys is not making contact all the time.

I'd be looking for a connector to the keypad that has about X + Y wires, where X is number of rows in the keypad and Y is the number of columns. Try unplugging it, cleaning it out with electrical contact cleaner (auto parts store!), and replacing it. Check for broken wires.

If you don't see anything there, do a comprehensive visual inspection of the circuit board, wiring, keypad. You'd be amazed at the percentage of electronic defects that are plainly visible if you just take the time to look. If something doesn't look right, compare it to other similar things and see if something looks inconsistent.

Hope this helps!

I've tried fixing them and it just doesn't work. I fought with one forever, cleaning it, resetting the connection to the board, stripping the connection back.

Its was the 2qaz, and I think it also was BG that were out. Found a keyboard controller board on e-bay for like $50, that wasn't it, finally just
bit the bullet and bought one. About 6 months ago had another one go out. It starts with having to push really hard, and it works best
when warm, then it just dies. Its got to be moisture or corrosion or something.

I mapped most of the keyboard at one point, I think your keys out are all on the same line. Of course it doesn't match up with a standard
computer keyboard.

Luckily you can work around missing keys for a while. Not having a 2 was miserable, I got so sick of it that I was actually using 1 keyboard on 2 machines
for about a week, that was a pain in the ass.

Just go buy one, they are usually about $290. Not chump change, but it beats putting your fist through the monitor.

I have no idea what the layout of a Fadal 4020 keybad is, but are the affected keys related in some way? For example, as they all in one column, or all in one row?

Keyboards are typically connected as a "matrix" (imagine a checkerboard with a key on each square). Each square (key) is represent by the ROW and COLUMN that contain it. So if you have lost keys all in one column, or all in one row, it suggests that the wire to that column or row of keys is not making contact all the time.

I'd be looking for a connector to the keypad that has about X + Y wires, where X is number of rows in the keypad and Y is the number of columns. Try unplugging it, cleaning it out with electrical contact cleaner (auto parts store!), and replacing it. Check for broken wires.

If you don't see anything there, do a comprehensive visual inspection of the circuit board, wiring, keypad. You'd be amazed at the percentage of electronic defects that are plainly visible if you just take the time to look. If something doesn't look right, compare it to other similar things and see if something looks inconsistent.

Hope this helps!
The keys that dropped first were all more or less in a vertical line. I took the pad and board out, inspected, and put it all back in. Then almost all the keys went out. After powering back up some time later, different keys were out but they too were more or less in a vertical line with eachother.

I've tried fixing them and it just doesn't work. I fought with one forever, cleaning it, resetting the connection to the board, stripping the connection back.

Its was the 2qaz, and I think it also was BG that were out. Found a keyboard controller board on e-bay for like $50, that wasn't it, finally just
bit the bullet and bought one. About 6 months ago had another one go out. It starts with having to push really hard, and it works best
when warm, then it just dies. Its got to be moisture or corrosion or something.

I mapped most of the keyboard at one point, I think your keys out are all on the same line. Of course it doesn't match up with a standard
computer keyboard.

Luckily you can work around missing keys for a while. Not having a 2 was miserable, I got so sick of it that I was actually using 1 keyboard on 2 machines
for about a week, that was a pain in the ass.

Just go buy one, they are usually about $290. Not chump change, but it beats putting your fist through the monitor.

I bought the machine about 6 months ago and just fired it up for the first time saturday morning. The keys did great for a day and a half and then the 3 started getting hard to press, then all the ones I list left all togeather.

I might also add that I'm having problems with the monitor as well, I'm having to do some precision wiggling to the connector that plugs into the back of the tube. I'm sure these problems are all related.

So are you saying the keyboard itself is bad? My part number is 1090-3. Where did you get yours from? Reman? New?
Thanks, Andrew

Back