What's new
What's new

Best water base cutting fluid for a cnc mll/turn?

runner1957

Plastic
Hello everyone,
What are some good brands of water based cutting fluids for a cnc subspindle y-axis mill turn. Going to be turning and light milling a lot of 4140 and some 316s/s, a fair amount of deep drilling 4x to 5x diameter, 350 psi available. Looking for something that won't rust the machine or gum everything up.

Thanks,
runner

obviously concentration mixture maintenance is going to be the primary factor to rust inhibiting properties. Do this and you may never see* a difference between brands.
After that i'd look to see what is locally available/ what other big shops in your area use to take advantage of low shipping costs and fast delivery.
lastly consider actual properties of soluble oil. wet? check. oily lubricity? check.

i've seen most shops using Blaser have miserably stinky sumps. That is my experience, so I'd never buy that stuff.

Last place I was in used Blaser, machining properties were pretty good, didn't seem to gum up the machines but seemed like maintenance was high, lots of skimmers running to try to keep from going bad.
runner

Try to use a search function up top, alot of good info as this has been bitten to death on monthly basis.
I dont like Blaser or Trim gives me rashes.

We use Blaser, works great, but it's an absolute bear to keep it from going rancid. Skimmers and bubblers on every machine and DI water only for the mix keeps it more or less under control.

What the hell are you people doing to make Blaser go bad???

I've never had it go bad.. Unless something stupid happens.. And I am
NOT good at "maintenance"..

Just today, for the VERY FIRST time, I did (my help actually did) a full sump clean out..
That sump will be 9 years old next month... And I didn't do it cuz it stunk, just figured
it was time.. The coolant went into other machines.. Got 2 other sumps that are pushing
10 years, and they don't stink at all.. The big lathe is NASTY, its got about a 1/4" of
waylube on top of it, and it don't stink. And there are times when it will sit for
3 weeks at a time..

WHAT are you people doing??? Are you peeing in it? You got a dead possum in there?

I was running BC40SW, and changed over to the 940 a bit ago..

What the hell are you people doing to make Blaser go bad???

I've never had it go bad.. Unless something stupid happens.. And I am
NOT good at "maintenance"..

Just today, for the VERY FIRST time, I did (my help actually did) a full sump clean out..
That sump will be 9 years old next month... And I didn't do it cuz it stunk, just figured
it was time.. The coolant went into other machines.. Got 2 other sumps that are pushing
10 years, and they don't stink at all.. The big lathe is NASTY, its got about a 1/4" of
waylube on top of it, and it don't stink. And there are times when it will sit for
3 weeks at a time..

WHAT are you people doing??? Are you peeing in it? You got a dead possum in there?

I was running BC40SW, and changed over to the 940 a bit ago..

A few years back I worked at a shop that wasnt affraid to throw money into coolant. We switched from hangstfers to blaser and used and elaborate tramp collector at all the machines and each employee had a maintenance schedule. Along with switching to blaser, we bought their mixer. And it still went tart. IMO most of the issue comes from chips in the sump. We then switched to qualchem. The tramp collectors went to the wayside, the employees eventually stopped giving a hoot about the maintenance schedule and the qualchem still out performed the blaser. All the free hot air balloon rides in the world couldnt bring us back.

And youll never catch me in one of those death traps anyway. 1million BTUs in a nylon bag holding on to a whicker basket....brilliant :rolleyes5:

We switched to this about a year ago. I douched the tank and filled then haven't done nothing but add since. I like it but I don't buy it so no clue what it costs? I've seen it advertised here on PM.

Some of the fellas here bitch about the coolant way before it needs changed in my opinion. I guess it all depends on what you consider rancid.

Brent

20170926_171030.jpg

9 out of 10 coolant reps will tell you the problem is not with their coolant, it's with the water. Too hard, too soft, wrong PH, blah blah. I just switched to Blazer, jury is still out with it yet, my problem is I do all hard cutting so the coolant sump just sits for weeks on end. I have to run it more just so it gets some circulation.

I've had the same $9.99 fountain pump in my oldest tank for 5 years. They stick to the bottom with their own suction cups. I just threw a short pipe long enough to reach above the coolant, a 90 and 1/4 hose barb fitting. It puts out a nice stream of coolant which keeps the coolant aerated and moving no matter how long it sits. 5 years with the same coolant QA Lube coolant and not a bit of smell to it.

I am switching to Blazer 940 since they are providing the oil for the new to me swiss. Going to have to give each machine it's first 'new' coolant in as long as I've had each machine. Should add a little volume back to the tanks ;)

One thing you should consider is how are you going to dispose of it. A lot of coolants have chlorinated paraffins to assist in lubrication while cutting. Products with this can't just be thrown out and must be disposed of properly. We use Blaser and it is great for general purpose machining. The only downfall is that the type we use eats plastic over time and that can cause the sump to stink. If I had to give you a suggestion it would be Blaser. I don't know why so many on here have had issues but I'm with Bob it's a great formulation. I'm a Job shopper and don't benefit at all from that recommendation just to clarify.

Back