What's new
What's new

Better to buy 2/3 axis machines versus 5 axis?

Jaden

Aluminum
Hey guys, what are the pros and cons to getting 2 machines a 2 axis CNC lathe and a 3 axis CNC vertical mill versus just a 5 axis CNC cabinet machine?

Debating which way to go, I would prefer one machine due to space considerations but I need to see the whole picture. If I got the two machines would I have to keep switching

the part from one machine to the other to finish it?

The Gcode languages may vary from machine to machine, also potentially more maintenance with two.

What are some other considerations I should be thinking about? For a good used one please suggest brand and price to watch for. I could go up to $30.000 or so before tooling,

rigging or any electrical conversions or retrofitting. I would like it to pay for itself over time with odd jobs so that I can just enjoy it for all my hobby projects to come. I have

an eight foot ceiling in the garage (low) and up to 60 amps total power. I'm in no rush but just looking to avoid any pitfalls when it comes to getting the right machine for a fair

price. Please guys comment with your thoughts, I read them all, thanks!

Pay for itself with odd jobs?

"Odd jobs" suggests you need two machines. You don't set up and run a 5 axis anything in minutes.

Not sure where to begin with this one.

I don't think you're going to get a decent or even mediocre 5x for $30k. Gotta up the budget. In any case, I seriously doubt you need a 5x unless your hobbies include making nuclear reactor components. There's another thread in the CNC forum right now that shows a distinct division between the 'want' and the 'need' of true 5x simultaneous feed.

Assuming you were skilled in set up and operation of the 5x machine, you'll still need expensive CAM software to get any utility out of it.

A 5x with a good trunion, regardless of the make, will never replace a stout CNC lathe. You're not going to hog metal or turn between centres with a trunion just to name a couple ops.

I'm not fond of the qty of "don't" and "not" in this reply, but I get a nagging feeling that it's a case of 2 + 3 =5 and you think it's simply a choice of one or the other.

Please let us know if there is a decent 5 axis machine for 30 k..
we dont think any exist.

The cheapest ones start around 100k (Haas UMC), and there are no used ones yet, and in any case a used one goes for 80% of new price on Haas.
And they wont fit in 8 feet.

Back