What's new
What's new

Boring Bar recommendation

ranchak

Cast Iron
I have to make some motor couplings out of 1018 with a 2 inch diameter bore, 4 inches deep. I have drilled the holes out to 1.75 inches. At the moment I am using a 1 inch boring bar that uses TCMT inserts. I am getting a poor finish and lots of squeal. Heavier/lighter feedrates, faster/slower speeds, nothing works. I have 5 inches of stickout which I can shorten, but I am thinking of going with a bigger bar. TMX makes a 1.5 inch bar that uses the same inserts. Am I wasting my time with this insert geometry? I really don't need an expensive high dollar bar in this diameter, any suggestions?

That 1" bar is pretty much at its limit at 5" overhang. For now, try shortening it to 4.1" just enough to prevent colliding with the part. But a 1.5" bar will be a lot stronger at either extension.

I really don't need an expensive high dollar bar in this diameter, any suggestions?
It depends on what you consider to be high dollar, really.
A REALLY good bar would be a Sandvik 1-1/2" anti-vibe bar, and that would cost you upwards of $1,000. To me that's high dollar lol.

Are you just wanting a bar for finishing? Or for both roughing and finishing?
You can get the old standard CNMG 1-1/2" bar for a decent price. This can do both rough and finish. But you'll probably have to chop off a few inches from the 12-14" length it will come in.

At the moment I am using a 1 inch boring bar that uses TCMT inserts. I am getting a poor finish and lots of squeal. Heavier/lighter feedrates, faster/slower speeds, nothing works.

TCMT inserts may work well in some applications, which one I have not found. CCMT are mostly what we use unless a taper is involved.
Good Luck!

It depends on what you consider to be high dollar, really.
A REALLY good bar would be a Sandvik 1-1/2" anti-vibe bar, and that would cost you upwards of $1,000. To me that's high dollar lol.

Are you just wanting a bar for finishing? Or for both roughing and finishing?
You can get the old standard CNMG 1-1/2" bar for a decent price. This can do both rough and finish. But you'll probably have to chop off a few inches from the 12-14" length it will come in.

WE have several different sizes of Sandvik De-Vibe bars. From 1 1/4" to 2". They are really good bars, but I wouldn't think necessary in this application. A WNMG bar, or a CNMG solid steel bar, in 1.5" should reach out far enough and be rigid enough to do this job. Personally, I like the WNMG the best, since we get 6 cutting edges to index to, rather than the 4 edges on the CNMG. Your going to use this bar again, later, so you might as well get the one that makes the most sense, and gives the best ROI.
You'll likely have to cut some of the tail off, as the bar is probably gonna come 12" long or so. With an 1.5" bar, you should hang out no further than 6".

Thanks for all of the input. I went with the 1.25 inch bar from Mari Tool. The price was right and Frank was very helpful over the phone. When it arrives next week we'll see how well it performs, but I'm pretty sure I'm done with the TCMT inserts.

Been buying Mari tools for years, you just can't go wrong shopping there. I have also found their a great source for custom ground tooling when the need arises.

Well the boring bar arrived and worked flawlessly. Actually makes boring a pleasurable experience. I guess now I need to replace the other bars that I have with Frank's bars!

I'm running a TCMT bar and insert from Widia right now in 316. I'm not hanging it out that much but I've been impressed.

Back