What's new
What's new

Boring head Kit recomendations

csharp

Stainless
Looking for some recommnedations for a good general purpose boring head kit. It will be running in a doosan DNM5700 cat 40.

Looking for a range from 1"-4" and the ability to set pretty easily with out a presetter. Would like to hold .001" with it. Material is aluminum and cast iron.

Thanks for any input.

Iscar has got some pretty nice kits, both 1/4-4" and 1/4-8". I think it's rebranded d'andrea-heads they sell.

I've used the Iscar/D'Andrea heads for many years, and they are quite accurate. I regularly hold .0002" with them. That being said, they do have some significant mass behind them and I tense up everytime they go through a tool change. If your Doosan has an option for a slow toolchange, you would be in great shape.

EDIT;
Oh, they don't give them away either, hopefully you are prepared to drop 1k+

I just purchased a couple of Ingersoll digital boring heads(re-branded D'Andrea)that were on special promo last month. They are nice! I'm a little concerned about a digital heads durability, but we shall see.

There are some really nice looking kits out there that have a huge range, like .7 to 6 inch. Sure they are pricey , but what good boring head is cheap? Probably 10 years ago I invested close to 6 grand in brand new parlec finish boring heads , had heads and cartridges, extensions etc to go from .9 to 5.9 or some thing like that. I loved them, until about 3 years ago I needed to get one fixed, the adjustment screw now longer worked. Called them, and they said" yea, thats the older model, we no longer support it, but we will give you a discount on a new head, if you trade in your old one." That to me was disappointing, to say the least. I took it apart and it was an epoxy like bond that held the adjuster to the cartridge spindle that had failed. My point is, if your gonna make a large investment on a kit, probably wanna make sure they are gonna continue to service it. I still think parlec makes great stuff, just not satisfied with the way that went. If your only looking to hold a .001, you can probably get by with some of the lesser kits. Not sure if its any good but Ive often thought about this PINZBOHR BohrSTAR 210 Boring Head Triangular Insert Kit. Would love to here from someone who has used it.

My point is, if your gonna make a large investment on a kit, probably wanna make sure they are gonna continue to service it. I still think parlec makes great stuff, just not satisfied with the way that went. If your only looking to hold a .001, you can probably get by with some of the lesser kits.

My Criter heads will hold .001 without a problem all day every day and they have taken a beating. .0005 and under they get challenging to set, but once dialed in they hold well.

Not sure if its any good but Ive often thought about this PINZBOHR BohrSTAR 210 Boring Head Triangular Insert Kit. Would love to here from someone who has used it.

Now this is a definite possibility...looks to have same range as the Big Kasier set I was looking to pull trigger on...that set was 4k. But then my guy broke off a 3/4" boring bar in my Critter head....I decided maybe just too good a kit for my shop at this time. Critters and Erikson 10th set.

Downfall of these Kits, lots of my bores are deep, great to have fine adjustment...but if going deeper then kits design, your playing around with long reach, slender boring bars and wind up back to playing games. If I'm going to play games I'll use a HD head, HD bar and play with finding the 10ths, set it and go.

Mari-Tool also has a nice kit, reasonable...just its for too shallow a bores for me. Need heavier bars to get in deeper.

Micron Precision Boring Head Set MariTool

Not sure if its any good but Ive often thought about this PINZBOHR BohrSTAR 210 Boring Head Triangular Insert Kit. Would love to here from someone who has used it.

I have a BohrStar 54 kit, and really really like it. It's every bit as good in person as the catalog photos make it look. 6mm to 210mm, and easy to adjust .0001 increments. Here's a photo of it doing a 3" hole for proportion.
20150515_152824.jpg
I have at least 300 lbs of devlieg style boring bars and sandvik Vari-set bars(recommended) and even 2 D'Andrea facing heads but I wanted a boring head set that I could pull out and assemble to do ANY size bore and lucked into this one on a closeout. I've been watching ebay hoping to pick up some extra pieces and it's just not happening.

There are some really nice looking kits out there that have a huge range, like .7 to 6 inch. Sure they are pricey , but what good boring head is cheap? Probably 10 years ago I invested close to 6 grand in brand new parlec finish boring heads , had heads and cartridges, extensions etc to go from .9 to 5.9 or some thing like that. I loved them, until about 3 years ago I needed to get one fixed, the adjustment screw now longer worked. Called them, and they said" yea, thats the older model, we no longer support it, but we will give you a discount on a new head, if you trade in your old one." That to me was disappointing, to say the least. I took it apart and it was an epoxy like bond that held the adjuster to the cartridge spindle that had failed. My point is, if your gonna make a large investment on a kit, probably wanna make sure they are gonna continue to service it. I still think parlec makes great stuff, just not satisfied with the way that went. If your only looking to hold a .001, you can probably get by with some of the lesser kits. Not sure if its any good but Ive often thought about this PINZBOHR BohrSTAR 210 Boring Head Triangular Insert Kit. Would love to here from someone who has used it.

FYI you can get an Iscar for cheaper than the Techniks sold PINZBOHR. However you can't beat the fact that if you buy the inserts from Techniks you get a LIFETIME WARRANTY! Which is totally
Worth it

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will do some homwork. I saw the one on maritool and it looked okay. I don't know the brand. I am boring some engine cylinders about Ø3" x 4" and it did not look like it went deep enough.

ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - KITI BHEI MB : 456143 - KITI BHEI MB5-5-8

The MB50 or MB63 would be ideal for your machine.

3005.gif

I have used the Parlec and Kaiser. As mentioned above about the Parlec's, they had a problem and couldn't fix them. But also the shop had not been oiling the heads ever, so that didn't help.

But Parlec also had some delivery problems when we needed a few for a job, so we ended switching over to Kaiser. I always liked those, Very nice heads.

Back