What's new
What's new

Boss 8, Boss10? What is the difference?

ladams

Plastic
Just recently purchased a Bridgeport Series I and along with it came a Boss 8 users manual. So we thought we are dealing with a Boss 8 controller until we saw writing on the back that said Boss 10. Now we dont know what we have. We cant get the mill to home. Reading the users manual for the Boss 8 apparently does not work for this mill. We can get it to manually move to home, but it will not do it on it's own when we hit execute upon start up.

It has a Bridgeport-Textron Controller logo on the rear of the machine. It has Tron servo's to move the table and the tool holder up and down.

So, how can I tell if it is a Boss 8 or 10? What do I need to look for to allow the machine to home itself?

L.

7/17 - With a little more research, the Boss 10 controller has an LED readout, the Boss 8 does not. If that is the main difference then shouldn't the controller setups be similar? Also, when we pulled the z axis manual control plate off the the head, water came out. I'm also assuming this is not a good thing.

Last edited:
Where ya located? If you put that info out maybe a more knowledgeable person can check it out IRL. My inclination is to believe whats painted on the cabinet over the book that was included since most places can't manage manuals and paperwork for shit, but don't have experience with either so thats the extent of any helpful tips I can give you.

I believe the Boss 8 was AKA the R2E3. Boss 8 had a 2 line LCD that only displayed XY or Z. I had a couple of them years ago, by far the biggest pieces of shit ever made.
Boss 9 had a CRT display.
Never saw a Boss 10.

I believe the Boss 8 was AKA the R2E3. Boss 8 had a 2 line LCD that only displayed XY or Z. I had a couple of them years ago, by far the biggest pieces of shit ever made.
Boss 9 had a CRT display.
Never saw a Boss 10.

Ahh, so when we received the manuals for the boss 8 controller, it included a programming manual for the series I and II cnc model R2E3. And I didnt know why. Thanks for shedding light.

Back