What's new
What's new

Brand of swiss made tilting head mill turn CNC machine

dksoba

Hot Rolled
I went to MDM and I saw this pretty neat 5 axis machine with a tilting head. The part would sit in a barfed collet on the left side of the machine. As configured at the show, the machine had a list price of around $500k according to the salesman. I want to google them but unfortunately I can't recall the name. I do remember it began with a W though. I had never heard of them before.

This might be a hopeless pursuit. Anyone?

Well, from googling "Swiss Made Machine Tools" and finding This Site and then checking their members list, I might guess it's Willomen-Macodel?

Yes, I think so. That was a good approach. I typed "swiss cnc machines" into google...

Here's kind of what they had at the show:

willemin-macodel_508_mt.jpg

Edit: Thanks, btw. Really appreciate it.

Matt

Yes, I think so. That was a good approach. I typed "swiss cnc machines" into google...

Here's kind of what they had at the show:

willemin-macodel_508_mt.jpg

Edit: Thanks, btw. Really appreciate it.

Matt

Matt,

I am sure it was the Willemin. They have been around for a long time. Bar fed with a pick off spindle to do all sides. The A axis can turn. High speed spindle with not much torque but for the right parts, very productive.

whats the benefit of this layout over a Mori NTX or Mazak Integrix?

Cycle time on small parts. A shop near me has a bunch. They do a ton of very small medical parts.

B axis lathes are slow........ ever see one do a chip to chip with a milling tool? :D

Not to hijack, but this was probably one of the most badass machines I saw at IMTS this year. Index twin spindle, twin B-axis machine. Very cool... BTW, where are Index-Traub machines made?

image.jpg

whats the benefit of this layout over a Mori NTX or Mazak Integrix?

It is a much older design. I went through the factory 15 years ago. The Mori and Integrix were not in production when this was designed. The Chiron FZ08 tilting machine was designed in reaction to the Willemin.

These are really for small parts where milling is over 70% of cycle. JMO

These are all damn cool machines IMHO. If I put my mind to it, maybe I can conjure up the right customers that will be willing to purchase the parts I could make with this machine. Still probably a long way away.

These are all damn cool machines IMHO. If I put my mind to it, maybe I can conjure up the right customers that will be willing to purchase the parts I could make with this machine. Still probably a long way away.

Unless you are making high quantities of bar feed parts, a Brother M140X1 or similar machine would do mostly what these will do at about a 1/3 the cost.

Back