What's new
What's new

Broaching on lathe, with live tools.

The main limiting factor can be the stroke. I have used them a few times and they work well. I have used the Su-Matic version.

Never seen one before, but I like that concept better than lathe broaching with the whole turret/carriage.

I would probably choose rotary broaching for smaller diameter inner profiles, but the Torx and internal hex examples they used were on the large size of what's practical for rotary broaching on most machines. I can see all kinds of potential for low-volume gear making, basically turning your lathe into a CNC gear shaper.

What, precisely, were they doing with the "Bevel" example? I couldn't make out what was being cut.

The main limiting factor can be the stroke. I have used them a few times and they work well. I have used the Su-Matic version.

I am cutting an internal groove, .12" wide, .2" stroke/Z

Can you comment on the quality, tool life, and cost and availability of these units?

I have about 40,000 grooves to make for each order.

Doing the Z style shaping method would toast my machine in no time:)

Isnt rotary broaching just for machines that cant lock the spindle? That thing looks pretty cool but I'm sure it's pricey. And if it gets caught up it could do some serious damage to itself and your machine.

There was an American company doing tools for screw machines. They could do an internal slot through a part without stopping the main spindle. I think the company was Wheeler Engineering, if they are still around it may pay to check if they could help you.

Rotary Broaching is great for smaller shallow forms, but is limited to about .025" material removal per side. However, rotary broaching tools do work in nearly every turning machine as long as one end is turning. The Benz tool looks great if you can afford the cycle time.

I am cutting an internal groove, .12" wide, .2" stroke/Z

Can you comment on the quality, tool life, and cost and availability of these units?

I have about 40,000 grooves to make for each order.

Doing the Z style shaping method would toast my machine in no time:)

I looked these over at The Show the other day.
As would be ass_u_med, they are nice looking tools.
I am sure that they aint cheap - but it sounds like you have the ideal app.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Isnt rotary broaching just for machines that cant lock the spindle? That thing looks pretty cool but I'm sure it's pricey. And if it gets caught up it could do some serious damage to itself and your machine.

Gets caught up?

Even if the thing blew to pcs the worst thing that is going to happen to my machine is an X axis overload alarm.

The salesman from Benz got back to me right away and is actually really helpful. These units are getting close to 5 figures but for my application I think its going to be a good investment. Certainly cheaper then spending nearly 10k for a set of broaches to do this feature, and dealing with all the fuss of holding tight tolerances with them and doing the operations on another machine etc

I would have guessed it to be in the 8G range anyway.
They are heavy toys!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I would have guessed it to be in the 8G range anyway.
They are heavy toys!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah they are, but they are quite fast, and sounds like decent tool life too. They are saying 1000hrs of cut time in between rebuilds. Being that I can make the groove I need in less then 4 seconds I think its a fair price for the versatility of the tool.

Is this for that old Yamazaki?
Or have you had a New Machine Day that I didn't see?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Its for the old Yamazaki. It has a vdi40 of sorts interface, luckily for me Benz already has something to work with that system. I don't really do too much turning, so that machine doesn't get used much, but a new customer I just picked up needs lots of turned parts, most with milled features. If it comes to be we get married and are in for the long haul I might finally get one of the many slick little Nakamuras I lust over. Not enough volume or $$$ to justify the Index though.

I was wrong on the brand. I had to many things on my mind at once. It was a Mario Pinto that I had used. It looked very easy to rebuild and like it was very overbuilt. The ease of adjusting the "gibs" on it was also something I liked.
I agree that your application sounds perfect for this tool.

That looks really cool!

I could have used that last week.

Currently using a PH Horn broach in the turret on my Genos.
Simple 1/4" keyway in a Ø1.00" bore.

Unfortunately, programmer made a slight "oops" when tweaking the program. Called for a rapid position about Z-1.5" INTO the part.
It bent the brand new broach, and the X wedge, turret, and headstock are all out of whack right now.
The machine has been down for almost 2 weeks waiting on realignment. GRRR!

Doug.

Maybe if you had a machine with torque limiters on the X and Z axis eh?

I guess that must be one of the things that the "Eco" series machines leave out that is not as noticeable when researching?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Maybe if you had a machine with torque limiters on the X and Z axis eh?

I guess that must be one of the things that the "Eco" series machines leave out that is not as noticeable when researching?

I don't think Okuma uses torque limiters on any of there lathes. The Genos lathes do have belt drive servos though so might absorb some impact forces in a crash.

There collision avoidance software is awesome. I'm thinking about adding it to our horizontal when I eventually get the spindle probe.

Back