What's new
What's new

Brother Conversational Speed and Feed cryptic values

Perry Harrington

Titanium
The Brother control has several unexplained Speed and Feed options, just abbreviations, that I haven't got canonical names for, I'd like to understand exactly what each parameter means, so here goes:

Under Drill and Tap speeds, they reference S and L with different values. For Drills the SFM and IPR varies for S and L, with L typically having double the IPR as S.

In what situation would S be used and L be used? Furthermore, in what machining situation would you double your IPR for a drill vs another drill?
Presumably the S stands for "small" and L for "large", but the ambiguity is bugging me.

Second, with Endmill speeds and feeds, they have 2 values labeled "CRF" and "TRV", one could infer these to be for plunging and milling, since the Brother has no ramped feed, all milling is done as plunging, then feeding.

What is the canonical name for "CRF" and "TRV"?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

OBTW, did my first repair on the machine yesterday, one of the tool holder fingers was *bent* and it dropped the tool from that spot twice, the first time it didn't hurt anything since it was a point tap, just put a divot in the table, which was easy to fix, caught it the second time. I dunno how the thing got bent, the arms look to be forged steel, *very* strong and beefy forgings, I straightened it on an arbor press and all is good.

I'm sure you've figured it out by now. S value is for tool diameters 0-.1181" L value is more than .1181"
My question has been trying to figure out an easy method to tell the machine I want 6000RPM or any such RPM. This Peripheral Velocity ft/min stuff is BS! Haven't played with the milling aspects of the machine yet and hoping to find some help to better understand this conversational control crap easier. I'm a G code Haas, Fadal, Fagor control guy and this one......grrrrrrr.
Thanks
John P.M.W

I'm sure you've figured it out by now. S value is for tool diameters 0-.1181" L value is more than .1181"
My question has been trying to figure out an easy method to tell the machine I want 6000RPM or any such RPM. This Peripheral Velocity ft/min stuff is BS! Haven't played with the milling aspects of the machine yet and hoping to find some help to better understand this conversational control crap easier. I'm a G code Haas, Fadal, Fagor control guy and this one......grrrrrrr.
Thanks
John P.M.W

John time to hit some books. It is not that hard.

Disclaimer: the machines being discussed here are older (20 years plus) brother machines. Back then (pre '98), the machines were ordered Gcode OR conversational. Be warned if you are entertaining purchasing a pre A00 control Brother machine, you could get stuck with a conversational only machine. Personally, I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick or perhaps be tarred and feathered than have to deal with a conversational brother.

Back