What's new
What's new

Brother forum

wheelieking71

Diamond
I am thinking lately, maybe it is about time to add a Brother forum?
A good bit of content lately is Brother specific. Might ease the search process?

I think it will be a great idea.
Even if I don't have a Brother (looking to have one some day, hehe...), I love to read and learn about these machines.
Maybe will be good to include also Fanuc, and similar machines (DMG Milltap, etc...)

Personally, and this is certainly just my opinion, but I feel that the specific forums dilute the main CNC forum from what it was. It would be nice if there was a way that they could all roll up to the cnc forum as it used to be, but still be "categorized" for those who wish them to be that way.

Personally, and this is certainly just my opinion, but I feel that the specific forums dilute the main CNC forum from what it was. It would be nice if there was a way that they could all roll up to the cnc forum as it used to be, but still be "categorized" for those who wish them to be that way.

I agree. A large amount of questions asked about specific brands apply more broadly too. More subforums just fragment the knowledge base, and limit the amount of exposure your thread gets.

I agree. A large amount of questions asked about specific brands apply more broadly too. More subforums just fragment the knowledge base, and limit the amount of exposure your thread gets.
My thoughts as well. I've always wondered how many brilliant ideas I have missed because they were in the Okuma forum or whatever. My personal vote would be for one big CNC forum and that's it.

Absolutely - it's called "Child" boards, and the current software that we are on should be able to doo them. When you post a new thread, you need to place it in a specific child board, but several child boards would be under one parent board. So if you decide to "Browse all CNC" anything topped in Haas, Brother, Yamazaki, Okuma, Cinci, Doosan, and Other Cheap Shiite child boards will all pop up. Yet when you want to search for specifics, all you hafta doo is look in the Cinci board, and all the others are stripped out.

It is a wonderous thing, and no clue why we don't have it here. The more special boards that we get, the more we are like The Zone - which just plain sucks for that very reason.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Absolutely - it's called "Child" boards, and the current software that we are on should be able to doo them. When you post a new thread, you need to place it in a specific child board, but several child boards would be under one parent board. So if you decide to "Browse all CNC" anything topped in Haas, Brother, Yamazaki, Okuma, Cinci, Doosan, and Other Cheap Shiite child boards will all pop up. Yet when you want to search for specifics, all you hafta doo is look in the Cinci board, and all the others are stripped out.

It is a wonderous thing, and no clue why we don't have it here. The more special boards that we get, the more we are like The Zone - which just plain sucks for that very reason.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sounds like a wonderful solution........Not that there is a "problem".

The reason I posted it: I went looking for something that I saw just the other day. It was Brother specific, and I didn't have time to read it when I saw it. I though: "I'll come read this when I'm done with that". Three days later, I couldn't find it with search. And, what I thought would still be pretty close to the top in CNC was actually 6-8 pages back by then. And, I had to scan a couple different threads to find it.

Here's a different (software geeky) approach to that problem.

1. Turn on RSS reader pointed at PM. (I use the RSS reader in microsoft outlook, but use whatever.) This will cause ALL new threads to show up in your RSS feed.

2. In the RSS feed, quickly scan and delete threads you don't care about. Threads you think you will care about later, leave sitting in the RSS inbox/list/folder.

This does mean that you delete/skip a lot of threads you don't care about. But it also means a thread can cook a few days - which is useful for the many good qestions for which I have no idea what the answer is - wait a few days, open the thread - often other people have answered. If a really interesting thread, subscribe to it.

Sounds like a wonderful solution........Not that there is a "problem".

The reason I posted it: I went looking for something that I saw just the other day. It was Brother specific, and I didn't have time to read it when I saw it. I though: "I'll come read this when I'm done with that". Three days later, I couldn't find it with search. And, what I thought would still be pretty close to the top in CNC was actually 6-8 pages back by then. And, I had to scan a couple different threads to find it.
The search function here sucks. I've had much better luck using the site specific search on google, ie: "site: practicalmachinist.com G53" will get much better results than searching "G53" directly on this site. (Just an example, I don't think I've tried that specific search)

You can drop the "site:" part too.

Just:

practicalmachinist.com G53

Just make sure to leave a gap between the sites address and what you are searching for.

Keep in mind that this site can't even seem to handle Daylight Savings Time.
(Not that Wheelie would know anything aboot that...)

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I only ever click the "New Posts" button so it's all the same to me. I am usually only on pm to kill time. If I am looking for something specific I either search or dive into a specific forum.

I think it will be a few more organized.

However, since threads derail so easy, and the search option of this site isn't great, I always end using Google.

Back