What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio pallet question

Mtndew

Diamond
I have a dumb question,
The models with the pallet changer, such as the R450, those can be loaded while the machine is running, right?
All of the videos and pictures that I've Googled don't really show the loading of the pallet.

I have a dumb question,
The models with the pallet changer, such as the R450, those can be loaded while the machine is running, right?
All of the videos and pictures that I've Googled don't really show the loading of the pallet.
Yes.

Yes, the idea of the machine is to maximize spindle time, so you can be getting side B ready while A is running and then swap.

You press a button on the control when you’re done loading op2 so when op1 is done it knows it’s good to index and of course doesn’t index before your done loading. I believe there is a door that is standard that I imagine has an interlock on it so you have to 1) close the door and then 2) hit the “pallet ready” button. I’m the proud new owner of a used R2A and the last owner replaced the door with a light curtain so you don’t have to open and close the door a thousand times a day, depending on what your doing. Veeeeeery handy dandy machines for many ops.

Can you get 4 6"x20" Orange double vises on the table, of course 2 on each side?

Brother offers the larger R650 pallet machine. The travels are 650mm x 400mm (25.59" x 15.748") X and Y respectively. The pallet itself is 800mm (31.5") wide by 535mm (21.063") deep per side. Those vises will fit straddling the center of the Y stroke so they will hang off about 2" on either end in the Y axis. Doable depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Could probably fit three across per pallet. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Here is a pic of a 6 x 16 vise on the smaller Brother R450:

orange vise on R450.jpg

Can you get 4 6"x20" Orange double vises on the table, of course 2 on each side?
I wouldn't try it, even on an R650. We have two 17.5" 'ers on each pallet and it can get extremely tight in the Y for clearance, depending on what you're trying to do. You could fit one along the X though.

This is how the vises are mounted:
VISE RISERS.jpg

I just went out and took a picture as it sits. Note the clearance slots for the vise screws that we put in. They aint for bein' pretty.
20180226_121319.jpg

I think you could put 3 there, but you'd be mighty tight fitting a tool setter somewhere. I can send you my solidworks file of the pallet with sketches of max travels if you could use it.

EDIT: Don't forget to take the vise wrenches off. You WILL do damage. I made a vise wrench holder with switches tied in to the control to alarm the machine if either wrench is missing when the pallet tries to rotate, either in a program or manually. Worth every penny after we ripped the load door off its tracks, broke the $500 door interlock and spent a couple hours with a tech on the phone getting the pallet home position realigned.

I also cut a big ass hole in the side of the machine and put a vinyl house window in it so you can see the outside pallet from the control side. Just to make sure nothing was left on a vise during setup or whatever before you rotate that pallet in.

We desperately need another spindle or two, I was hoping this would be the year for a Horizontal but just can't get a 3 yr ROI just yet and we built another 5,000 SQ ft that will be finished in a couple of weeks so been delaying any machine purchases till then.

My experience a few years ago with Yamazen Atlanta was not a positive one. They had just opened the Atlanta office so it was a little disorganized but no big deal. Was looking at a speedo with pallet changer, don't recall the model. Their salesman was in and looked at our parts and said they could improve our cycle times so we put together a group (I think it was 5) part samples to test. Provided them with the stock, tooling and programs so they could see our speeds and feeds for actual comparison as we have detailed time studies on each of the parts we build in house.

A couple of weeks later they said they have everything ready to demo and meet a couple of days later. They are located on the other side of Atlanta from us so the traffic is always an issue. Two hour drive to go ~40 miles and me and the boy are there around 8AM. A little meet and greet and a walk through of their place then out to the shop floor for the demo. He said they need a few more minutes so more coffee and donuts. About 11:30 back to the shop floor, hit the green button and drives the end mill and tool holder into the side of the part knocking it out of the vise :nutter: OK, maybe a few edits are needed at this point so off to lunch.

Came back around 1:30 and there still making program edits, so I suggest that maybe we could run one of the other parts while they are working on this one? The reply was this is the only program we have been working on and have not started the others. :mad5: Around 3 we got to see it mill a few features then our 1" inserted drill gets about a 1" deep in 6061 and stalls and chips one of the inserts :eek: The boy really wanted to see it tap at 6,000 RPM so I asked if they could just run the 1/2-20 holes in the part, oh sure no problem. Its 5PM now and still waiting....so collect our tooling and material and back into Atlanta traffic.

Got a call a week or so later from someone at Yamazen (not Atlanta) explaining that the programmer didn't really have any experience with Brother machines and asked us to come back. We still get the annual call to come check out the latest stuff.

My experience a few years ago with Yamazen Atlanta was not a positive one. They had just opened the Atlanta office so it was a little disorganized but no big deal. Was looking at a speedo with pallet changer, don't recall the model. Their salesman was in and looked at our parts and said they could improve our cycle times so we put together a group (I think it was 5) part samples to test. Provided them with the stock, tooling and programs so they could see our speeds and feeds for actual comparison as we have detailed time studies on each of the parts we build in house.

A couple of weeks later they said they have everything ready to demo and meet a couple of days later. They are located on the other side of Atlanta from us so the traffic is always an issue. Two hour drive to go ~40 miles and me and the boy are there around 8AM. A little meet and greet and a walk through of their place then out to the shop floor for the demo. He said they need a few more minutes so more coffee and donuts. About 11:30 back to the shop floor, hit the green button and drives the end mill and tool holder into the side of the part knocking it out of the vise :nutter: OK, maybe a few edits are needed at this point so off to lunch.

Came back around 1:30 and there still making program edits, so I suggest that maybe we could run one of the other parts while they are working on this one? The reply was this is the only program we have been working on and have not started the others. :mad5: Around 3 we got to see it mill a few features then our 1" inserted drill gets about a 1" deep in 6061 and stalls and chips one of the inserts :eek: The boy really wanted to see it tap at 6,000 RPM so I asked if they could just run the 1/2-20 holes in the part, oh sure no problem. Its 5PM now and still waiting....so collect our tooling and material and back into Atlanta traffic.

Got a call a week or so later from someone at Yamazen (not Atlanta) explaining that the programmer didn't really have any experience with Brother machines and asked us to come back. We still get the annual call to come check out the latest stuff.

Capt Dave. We have placed a new regional manager in our Atlanta office and I think the improvements you would see are significant. We really want to deserve your future business.

Andy

If we can't fit 4 double vises on the table then it would me a moot point. We run tons of 6" and 5-1/4" blanks and designed special jaws to make the part sit above the jaws to get enough opening on the 6" parts to make them work on the 20" doubles, haven't looked to see if we could make 17.5" vises work.

Soft jaws 1.jpg
Soft jaws 2.jpg

If we can't fit 4 double vises on the table then it would me a moot point. We run tons of 6" and 5-1/4" blanks and designed special jaws to make the part sit above the jaws to get enough opening on the 6" parts to make them work on the 20" doubles, haven't looked to see if we could make 17.5" vises work.

View attachment 221810
View attachment 221811

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but our Okuma salesman said it won't be until May before we can get another GenosM560. That's why we're looking at a Brother.

View attachment 221810
View attachment 221811
You could buy a whole lot more room if you made (or bought) jaw carriers that are your soft jaws and ditch the bolt on jaws all together. At a glance, I think with the above, you'd be just fine with 17.5" vises.

Like so:

machinable_jaws_02__74538.1498405047.jpg

Back